The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The greatest 20th century donor you've never heard of > Comments

The greatest 20th century donor you've never heard of : Comments

By Martin Morse Wooster, published 2/8/2006

Julius Rosenwald: the man who built Sears, Roebuck and whose philanthropy advanced the cause of black education in the American South.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
As interesting as Julius Rosenwald sounds I think the most admirable character in this story is Booker Washington. He was obviously a dynamic and passionate man.

I am learning the fundraising "ropes" on the job and the more I hear about successful fundraising and fundraisers the more it become apparent that the keys are
1. Passion for the cause
2. Innovative Ideas and,
3. (most importantly) The ability to listen and understand a donors motivation.

If you can provide a clear goal that matches a donor's ideals and a set amount you need to raise you will get the money - ONLY if you have the 3 keys above.
Posted by Mick Vyse, Thursday, 17 August 2006 10:41:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Just a belated thanks to the editors of OLO for finding this gem of an article. It is, by a wide margin, the most informative and interesting education article I have seen on this forum. (Simon Haines' recent one on literature is the closest competition).
Posted by Mercurius, Thursday, 17 August 2006 9:50:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy