The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What a remarkable bargain > Comments

What a remarkable bargain : Comments

By David Flint, published 1/8/2006

The Queen and her royal household return a profit each year to the British public.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
David...that's great...for Great Britain. We in Australia want and are prepared to pay for our own Head of State as a significant and real part of our national identity.

PS suggest you check your work before you send Professor...some poor expression in your second paragraph. Do try harder.
Posted by smithie, Wednesday, 2 August 2006 12:25:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
When I first read the article, I was supposing that a report was commissioned to estimate the benefit of the Queen to the United Kingdom. I accept that the Queen is an opportunity for tourism and she does promote British interests and to some extent Commonwealth interests around the globe. I would be interested in seeing some figures on this.

As people in this forum may know, in the Copernican Group we are promoting the idea that the Queen should be replaced by a directly-elected Head of State. We think this is the most cost-effective way of establishing an Australian republic. Also one with the most benefit. (http://www.copernican.info)

The "extraordinary" relationship between the Queen and Australia does guide us towards a republic. Financially speaking, we owe the Queen nothing and thus her efforts are directed at advancing her own nation. Seems fair and logical.

It would be a better arrangement if Australia was its own boss. We wouldn't need to pay anything like 63 pence per taxpayer (A$1.50). My own estimate is about 17 cents per taxpayer.

Please consider also adding comments to our forum http://www.7gs.com/copernican
Posted by David Latimer, Wednesday, 2 August 2006 3:38:08 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy