The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Now you’ve heard it in black and white > Comments

Now you’ve heard it in black and white : Comments

By Stephen Hagan, published 24/7/2006

Indigenous people must work together in a cohesive manner - without the infighting.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Stephen

We don't always agree but I think this is really very accurate. We do no favours to our indigenous community when we avoid or deny some of these extremely challenging issues.

For example, I agree that there are very few, if any, Aboriginal organisations that have not come under administration for cronyism, nepotism or straight-out embezzlement, usually at the cost of the local indigenous community. Yet, when I said recently that I thought we should work with the indigenous community to develop a class of administrators with the skills and cultural values needed for such strong, accountable administration, I was criticised. "Liberals" who think that constructive criticism is damaging are not only ineffectual but actively prevent positive change.

I'm glad to see yet another indigenous leader making the point that we need Aborigines and Torres Strait Islanders to stand up and agree amongst themselves that change is necessary and that simply throwing money at these problems won't promote that change - only self-responsibility will.

Regards

Kevin
Posted by Kevin, Monday, 24 July 2006 1:51:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes there is only one silence,and that is the silence of white man,just to add why ,that is my comment,take the case of the RSL and the Aboriginal soldiers,in reply to Noel Pearson,yes he is right,but for so many years there was silence,need to say no more
Posted by KAROOSON, Monday, 24 July 2006 2:13:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Stephen,

Well written article, good to read such that is not totally bias 1 way or the other. Are you the ABC radio guy from Cairns?
Ill throw my 2 cents in then, I listen to a radio show called Talk Black on the Nati INDIG network. Its pretty much like any other shock jock show around, youve got your reasonable and your nutter callers no surprise there. But there is one thing they all have in common besides having a whinge, they all reckon that the rest of the population owe them somthing.

They will never get anywhere with that attitude, they have to thank for that attitude succesive govts, greens, churches and Woolly feelings by young middle class urbanite academics who were fed this crap from the previous 3.

Aboriginals that I know are only violent when drinking, take away the grog and you take away the emotions that grog creates, Its a fact of life that some people cant handle it myself included, but surely it is a genetic tendency for those with indigeneous blood.
I hope readers dont find this offensive it is merely an opinion I havnt got a fancy vocabulary, cant even spell very good but at least you get to read somones opinion whos not an academic or trying to impress everyone with there toffy nosed wit.

Cheers
Posted by SCOTTY, Monday, 24 July 2006 9:08:39 PM
Well I finally read a complete article of yours ,like other writers articles on OLO.

The problem is hip-hop was not made for Australia.It was made for African Americans by African Americans.

The way people talk about Indigenous Australian on paper is quite different than the way me and some others actually see them ourselves.Alot of people are not thinking about the poor, hard done by the racism from white Australia's Aborigines in the outback, when they see people who look like Anglo-saxons and are mostly white Australians. These people make racist whites more comfortable, and are easy to accept their gatekeepers. Not saying Anglo-Australians aren't suffering either.Its just whos really paying the price.
Posted by Amel, Tuesday, 25 July 2006 12:51:23 AM
"Many Indigenous communities are losing their organisations through maladministration or because of placing too much trust in unscrupulous recruited Indigenous or non-Indigenous people."

the latest pie for such unscrupulous black folks to be poking their fingers in now exists in the native title arena. there's no government funding involved, so no rules or regulations and no-one breathing down your neck to check that you spending the money properly.

if your mob comes from resource laden land where mining companies have interests then it more than likely means some kind of compensation deal. hmmmmm, mining company money and your mob, who if you're sneaky enough, ah herm, perhaps persuasive might be the better word, to know how to pull the wool over their eyes and con this one or that one, then there's lots of money to be fleeced and no-one, cept your mob who you already put up the gum tree, breathing down your neck.

like a wolf in sheeps clothing, they fool some but not all........
Posted by kalalli, Tuesday, 25 July 2006 7:42:57 AM
Good article Stephan, thank you.
Posted by miacat, Tuesday, 25 July 2006 11:49:07 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Brilliant article! If only government policy and programs could have such clarity. Instead they are confused with stereotypes and offering kneekerk reactions.

sorry about posting an ad

kalkadoon.org presents
Gunya Gossip

An evening of discussion, music, poetry and dance
Saturday August 26
At
INDIGE-N-ARTS
270 Montague Rd. West End (Brisbane, Queensland, Australia)
opposite Davies Park

Forum begins at 7.30
“What relevance do environment and social justice movements have to Aboriginal Australia?”

Speakers

Baganan Kurityityin Theresa Creed
Director of Gunya 21 and kalkadoon.org and the principle researcher of kalkadoon.org’s “Out of the Box” reports for the Gunya 21 Link Tank.

Senator Andrew Bartlett
Member of Gunya 21 Link Tank. Deputy leader of the Australian Democrats and national spokesperson in indigenous issues.

Drew Hutton
Convenor of Gunya 21 Link Tank. Veteran environment and human rights campaigner and the Qld. Greens state spokesperson in indigenous issues.

Followed by entertainment including
The 2 hard basket ensemble featuring poetry and dance by Baganan Kurityityin Theresa Creed
Plus guest artists and jam session.

Entry by donation
Snacks and non-alcoholic drinks available
Gunya Gossip is the launch of the Gunya 21 Link Tank, a sustainable housing resource network assisting Aboriginal development projects on Palm Island.
Contact homeland@kalkadoon.org

A special thank-you to INDIGE-N-ARTS gallery and workshop for providing the venue for Gunya Gossip
INDIGE-N-ARTS is an indigenous owned and operated art gallery that runs indigenous art and craft workshops, cultural tours and stocks a wide range of art including clothing, jewellery and ceramics.

kalkadoon.org Aborigininity, Sustainability, Art and Education
Posted by King Canute, Wednesday, 26 July 2006 3:19:18 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Stephen Hagan thanks for your article. Your insights are well articulated. Certainly helps us interested white folks along our way. The train platform story is a classic example of that kind of subtle, albeit, usually unconscious, put downs that Indigenous people often endure.

KAROOSON, What is this about the RSL?

Perhaps someone could tell me if there is any truth in this stuff that old diggers have passed on. A returned soldier I had a chat with in a pub said that the Indigenous girls up in the Islands would sit down on the beach and stuff their vaginas full of sand to stop the US soldiers from having their way with them – raping them. I only heard it the once.

I asked my Dad but he wasn’t in the Islands and said it was probably rubbish. And that is from someone who did not have any time for the “Yanks”, especially that callous idiot McCarthy (McCarthy’s stupidity and grandstanding often resulted in more casualties than the enemy inflicted).

Another returned soldier I asked, who served in Darwin said he had heard the girls would climb trees and pee on the soldiers who tried to harass them. One other reason I am asking this is because silence is often used to stop infighting. RSL don't take kindly to this kind of questons being asked or the truth being spoken about supposed heroic figures. Infighting can also be a sign of robust and open debate. Needs to be a balance.

Please don’t be offended, I haven’t brought this up with an Indigenous person because I didn’t want to be like the guy on the train platform. I did ask an Indigenous friend of mine once and the look in his eyes was a anymore-and-you-going-to-die-brother look.

I know it is hearsay, but at least someone may be able to tell me if the sand thing is true. If that is crap then the other, would probably be so as well. Best wishes.
Posted by rancitas, Thursday, 27 July 2006 3:07:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy