The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The 'new' paternalism > Comments

The 'new' paternalism : Comments

By Tony Abbott, published 28/6/2006

The problem is not lack of spending but the culture of directionlessness in which so many Aboriginal people live.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
Sandra

Being a member of another perceived subculture experiencing a heavy hand of paternalism in recent times, namely the dreaded 'single mother', I completely agree with you contention of affordable housing and all else will fall into place.

Housing affordability was the consistent threat to both mine and my child's education and health. Thankfully we both survived the four years of my university attendance, but only just. Along the way we had to live with a relative that didn't want us there and made our lives miserable. I can only imagine what living conditions families in isolated communities experience when they are forced to live 10 to a house with relatives that drive them nuts. I'd like to see the Federal Cabinet stuffed in a tiny house with ten relatives and not want to kill each other. Those conditions don't exactly bring out the best in people.
Posted by Liz, Friday, 7 July 2006 11:26:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It just keeps coming - now we have John Howard and Tony Abbott sugesting that Aboriginal tribal people in Central Australia should think about curtailing the extended mourning period that some traditional groups have in their culture . How totally ignorant is their attitude to the lives of Indigenous People .
Simply disgusting .
Reveal their ideas to the world .
Posted by kartiya, Saturday, 8 July 2006 12:55:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tony when you are willing to speak on a personal opinion, not being told what to write by the Party.

Then maybe just maybe, you can express your views.

Thanks
Posted by Kwv, Tuesday, 1 August 2006 11:18:24 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy