The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Diminished democracy > Comments

Diminished democracy : Comments

By George Williams, published 6/7/2006

Reform rolling in the wrong direction - a new electoral law will diminish our democracy.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
I have to confess that this measure passed through without my being aware of it, which is a sad commentary not only on me but on the failure of the Opposition and the media to make much of the changes. They are bad, and look like an attempt by the Government to make things easier for itself. When will political parties learn that fiddling with electoral systems only encourages the other side when it gets in? Above all, we need electoral systems which place the electorate ahead of the Government. Will Labor take up this challenge, or is it also pleased not to have to say where the money comes from?
Posted by Don Aitkin, Thursday, 6 July 2006 10:09:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We don't have a democracy, but a dictatorship. You can expect nothing more from the right wing two faction religious dictatorship we currently have in this country, all political parties are in bed with big business and religion. People are programmed to believe lies and deceit are the norm for ideologies to operate under, as they're told to believe in hope and have implausible faith in nothing, but false and misleading rhetoric.

Our downward plunge into a religiously controlled fascist state is well underway, with no hope of redemption unless the current political system is removed and replaced with a non party, truly secular system that allows the people to elect those reflecting the peoples desired outcome and not the economic outcomes of religion and big business, that enslaves the people.

The media in this country is fully controlled by monopolies closely aligned to the two faction party whom media monopolies contribute to heavily. If the media were unbiased, they'd give independents as much coverage as they give the lib/lab coalition. Anyone with idea's designed to improve our system and not regress it, have no hope of getting heard and in fact are hunted down and destroyed.

Their next target is the web, already their pushing religious morals and intend controlling content, Helen Coonan has already started doing it.
Posted by The alchemist, Thursday, 6 July 2006 10:31:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
alchemist, many people would say you are a doom and gloom naysayer but I have to agree with you.

These electoral laws are another example of the governments contempt for democracy. And the Labor party is incredibly weak and will eventually sink to their level. People won't accept your use of the word dictatorship because when they think totalitarinism they envision Stalin, Pol Pot and other mass murderers, the fact is facsim comes in many forms, many of which we are yet to witness.

I'll leave with a quote from an American Congressman whose name escapes me.

"Congressman, do you think facism is ever possible in the US?"

"Oh yes of course, but we'll call it anti-facism"

The same can be said for Australia.
Posted by Carl, Thursday, 6 July 2006 10:57:06 AM
“The law closes the electoral roll before many have had the chance to register, takes away the vote from prisoners….”

Come on George. First time voters have the chance to register when they are 17 years old – a full year. How much longer do they need?

Prisoners lose their freedom when they are incarcerated. Voting is one of these freedoms or rights. That people in jail would be terribly concerned about not being able to vote is not credible, anyway.

You are getting pretty desperate for things to rubbish the Government, and Australia in general, about when you have to cry crocodile tears over no-hopers who can’t get their act together to ensure they have a vote. Isn’t it true that what is now happening used to happen? It’s merely going back to the future, and much more efficient.
Posted by Leigh, Thursday, 6 July 2006 12:43:05 PM
Come on George! The vast majority of people have plenty of time to enroll. Its called personal responsibity. No need to vastly increase Electoral Commissions resourses to cope with an occasional rush. this is of no concern.

Prisioners are removed from society so why should they get to vote? In any case they do not have to be denied a vote. Simply decree that being in prison is an acceptable reason for not attending a polling place and having your name crossed off the role. No problem, we are not obliged to provide special personal provissions for them.

In relation to donations to political parties, it is noted that both major parties are in the hip pockets of big business and as I have said before; He who pays the piper calls the tune.

A far bigger concern is how the major parties have implemented COMPULSORY PREFENTIAL VOTING. This obviously favours the major parties over minor parties and independants because if you vote for an independant of minor party, one or the other major parties still get your vote. I cannot see any new party getting 50% of the vote at first election. The best one can do is deny the major parties the $2.00 (approx) for first preference. Now CPV is really undemocratic.
Posted by Banjo, Thursday, 6 July 2006 1:22:28 PM
Leigh and Banjo argue that people have plenty of time to enroll but who is it for them to say how people should allocate their time? The point is that the Government has taken from them a period of time, that is the one week after the call of an election, which has traditionally been used to attend to these matters. The number of people who used this peiod to enroll or change their enrollment is proof of this. The AEC in its various submissions have not raised this as a concern! Leigh and Banjo are essentially ideologues - they argue that reality should conform to their view of the world, and they are unable to advance any argument of merit just that "they have plenty of time".

Williams and others have set the right test for this legislation: does it advance the the exercise of democracy in Australia? Clearly it does not.

For state and territory elections this legisatltion would not be so offensive because they operate on fixed electoral terms where the date of the election is set. But this does not apply in the case of federal elections where the PM continues to have the (undemocratic) right to determine the date of the electon. There is no reason why the PM should enjoy such a an advantage in our democracy, particularly when it will now exclude our fellow citizens from the vote! Democrats of all hues should be able agree on this if participation means anything to them.

Ralph
Posted by ralph, Thursday, 6 July 2006 2:29:05 PM
I'd have thought a simpler way to get around the problem would be fixed term governments. It works a treat in NSW. Of course the major parties would hate it, as it deprives the incumbents of the ability to finesse the polls and outfox the media.

I agree with you Banjo on compulsory preferential voting. The major parties love it because it eventually means a vote for them. I will always vote for anyone else (the KKK excepted) rather than the major parties.

Thanks Leigh and Banjo for the waffle about "personal responsibility". I enroll, put in my tax returns, pay my bills in etc etc when I absolutely have to (and sometimes not even then). If its my duty to vote (enforceable by fine), then its the government's duty to make it as easy as possible. Making things convenient for governments is usually a way of attacking democracy.
Posted by Johnj, Thursday, 6 July 2006 2:45:59 PM
I strongly agree with George Williams comments.

The electoral reforms are not justified and there is no real evidence to support the change.

There is a Electoral Commission report after each election (PDF: http://results.aec.gov.au/12246/pdf/BehindTheScenes.pdf). This is worth reading if one is truely interested in democracy. Where is the evidence that the electoral rolls lack integrity?

According to Liberal and National MPs on the Joint Standing Committee on Electoral Matters (JSCEM), the evidence comes from the submissions by the Liberal and National Party and the Festival of Light!

In the JSCEM report (http://www.aph.gov.au/house/committee/em/elect04/report/chapter2.pdf), the AEC commissioner is quoted as suggesting that changing the date would not effect enrolment (section 2.111) and this is used to support the governments view. However if you read the actual Transcript (http://www.aph.gov.au/hansard/joint/commttee/J8526.pdf) the commissioner is actually saying that the AEC would embark on a marketing campaign to reduce the effect of the change, said he could not speculate on the result and made no suggestion there was a problem with integrity.

In fact the commissioner said something very interesting: "With the exception of 1983, historically there had been a period of time between the announcement of an election and the issue of writ ... with the average gap in the period from 1940 to 1983 inclusive being 19 days." (JSCEM Transcript 5-Aug-05, p54)

Now, think about what happened in 1983: That was the first federal election where the rolls were closed almost immediately. That was the election where PM Malcolm Frazer lost government.
Posted by David Latimer, Thursday, 6 July 2006 3:19:23 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ralph and Johnj. With elections each 3 years the vast majority of people to enroll for each election would have 12 months or so to do that. I can only suppose that you believe the State Gov. should open RTA offices on sunday afternoons because it may be more "convienient" for you. Your Local council likewise and hang the expense to taxpayers. Enrolling to vote is a once in a lifetime exercise so tradition has nothing to do with it. Changes in address and other particulars can be done via the mail. There is no major problem.
With the ammount of media attention at a pending election, one would have to be living under a rock, not to be aware.

I also believe more proof of identity should be required to enroll and to vote. we need to provide more identity to open a bank account than to enroll to vote. Surely photo inentity should be a minimum or having to swipe a card would be better when enrolling and to vote.

David, I think the integrity of the rolls should be questioned. The Sheperdson inquiry was uncovering quite a few rorts when it was suspended, and we would be naive to think such rorts only happened in Queensland. This is in spite of what the AEC commisssioner said in his report.

These matters, and compulsory preferential voting are far more important issues to electors than the matters the author of this thread raised.
Posted by Banjo, Friday, 7 July 2006 12:11:54 PM
What a boring article. Does Williams really think it would make a scrap difference to the end result if these thousands of people could vote? They can wait till next time. What is more important is to address our undemocratic system that treats us like criminals when we are enrolled, but do not vote.
Posted by Robg, Friday, 7 July 2006 1:37:57 PM
Banjo, I work in the public library area. All the library services I have worked in are open 7 days a week. Call me old-fashioned if you like, but I believe government services are there to provide a service.

Federal politicians have provided themselves with a billion-dollar palace, hot and cold running staff, transport etc etc. All this in the name of representing their electorates. The PM calls an election at his whim and now we're told that it is "inconvenient" to have the AEC open to accept changes in enrolment. So much for the value placed on democracy.
Posted by Johnj, Friday, 7 July 2006 1:52:38 PM
To those who believe that prisoner's; particularly those serving trifling sentences, who will be effected by the choices made at the elections; should be prohibited from voting, consider this:

It is a fair summary of history to say that the safeguards of liberty have frequently been forged in controversies involving not very nice people [US v Rabinowitz [1950] 339 US 56, 70 (Frankfurter J)].<http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bin/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=339&invol=56&friend=nytimes>

The right to vote; which in this country is the obligation to vote; is a sacred right in a democratic society. It determines the make-up of the government, which in turn determines the content of law. Does this mean that the Constitution can be altered by the majority of persons in the majority of states, other than those in prison?

Truly frightening.

In addition, the adoption of larger amounts which can be paid surreptitiously, suggests that AUstralia is going down the US path, where lobbyists can legally funnel millions of dollars in order to change laws for their; predominantly corporate; clients, in blatant disregard of the democratic process. Fortunately, no politician in Australia would be tempted to misuse their position to take advantage of such slush money?

Inshallah

2 bob
Posted by 2bob, Friday, 7 July 2006 2:11:12 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Johnj. I take your point about libraries being open 7 days a week and also police, ambulance and train drivers, etc provide services at all hours 7days a week.

I still think that more resourses do not need to be given to AEC so just a few people would find it more convienient to enroll after the writs have been issued for and election. I think there is plenty of time for people to enroll. 12 months or so should be ample time to get around to enrolling.

After all many people who work strange hours, such as truck drivers,airline staff, and so on, seem to be able to arrange their car rego, rates payments, tax and bill payments, etc without much complaining. I think this matters importance is blown out of proportion.
Posted by Banjo, Sunday, 9 July 2006 10:29:42 AM
This is a disgrace. It is obviously going to reduce the number of young voters. Now why would you want to do that? Could it be because the <a href="http://www.pm.gov.au">lying rodent</a> wants to minimise the number of people who do not share his right wing tendencies?
Posted by Xeno, Sunday, 9 July 2006 6:54:40 PM
Surely we would be a lot better off banning electoral advertising and each candidate providing a 100 word promo to be given to the Electoral Commisioner for printing and distribution with ballot papers on the day. No $2 per vote to the PARTY, but, these "candidate biographies" being part of the overall normal election budget.

what is a valid enrolment?

The Federal & State Commissioners consider anyone being on the roll (once), irrespective of their residential address, as validly enrolled. Their measure of electoral perfection is that everyone entitled to be on the roll is given the opportunity in as easy as fashion as possible. Multiple enrolments by the same person (or cat!)? - picked up by their computers or so they say. Dead voters, multiple voting? - statistically small as to be irrelevant.

Recent Administrative Tribunal reviews in NSW have seen several (expensive) by-elections brought on due to candidates re-enrolling at addresses of convenience at the close of rolls (so they cannot be challenged or even publicly know of) and thereby only dismissed from office when challenged through ADT action, often taking a year or two.

Faced with the inconsistencies of 'residence' between the three tiers of government, Electoral Commissioners just try to ignore the issue of residency as a means of verification as it is specifically a Local Government peculiarity. (Fancy wanting a local to represent you!)

That the Commissioners are happy to endorse this fraud by retaining administrative ease - how difficult would it be to verify candidates enrolments and investigate last minute changes I ask? - over real local candidates and residents' needs is just another part of the Electoral Puzzle.

Given that few incidents are properly investigated and no one gets charged, let alone, penalised for false declarations, the integrity of the roll can only remain questionable.

Unfortunately, as the majority of the electorate are happy to accept party hacks from the 2 majors who don't reside in the electorate (or who move into the area via a rental flat!) the electoral system fails us as 'representative.
Posted by Reality Check, Monday, 10 July 2006 12:57:34 PM
Thankyou for bringing this issue somewhat into the realm of public debate George. One recent advantage for the Libs in Industrial Relations becoming such a big issue is that they are able to shuffle everything else through relatively unnoticed.

Whilst I have seen some predictable defence in this discussion about 'personal responsibility', i note no-one has argued WHY the time actually had to be reduced. Not one justification from the Libs either, a simple 'well... young people and prisoners are less liklely to vote for us, so we a trying to cut them out' would have sufficed.

In the age where, despite low crime rates, our prison populations are at soaring highs, the ability to vote for those incarcerated has increased importance. The fact that someone who is due for release in a matter of months gets no say in who they will be governed by is anti-democratic and an absolute disgrace
Posted by jkenno, Monday, 10 July 2006 7:47:44 PM
In developing countries political donations are known as bribes and the rest of the world frown on them.
Why don't we call political donations by their proper name and get rid of them instead of hiding them?
Posted by Peace, Tuesday, 11 July 2006 7:17:50 PM
Brilliant work Peace!

I can see PBL and Meriton spinning...
Posted by Reality Check, Wednesday, 12 July 2006 2:32:38 PM
maybe political discussion would be more useful, if we began with some fundamental axioms:

democracy is a society ruled by it's members, who share equally in the power to decide. a nation state is a democracy when it has a constitution that states:

all national activity is legal only when the majority of the electorate subscribe to an enabling referendum.

any member of the electorate may initiate a referendum.

all activity affecting the interest of the electorate will be in public.

oligarchy is a society directed by a few for the benefit of themselves and their supporters. political activity is commonly secret. the general populace is commonly lied to, to secure passive acceptance.

australia is an oligarchy and any discussion that begins with " in our democracy.." is founded on fog, at best, and is commonly a cynical ploy of diseducation.
Posted by DEMOS, Thursday, 13 July 2006 11:17:19 AM
Alchemist,

Your clear-vision-perception, complemented with-the-innate capacity to-be frank while also having the guts to-stand-up for the disenfranchised citizenry and speak-out far beyond the silver-tongued panacea excuses -- has been highly commendable! To borrow your words of wisdom ..."We don't have a democracy, but a dictatorship"... Yeah, one cannot expect nothing-more from the radical right-wing or the factional connivers on-the-left, within the two-party-system under diabolical-spell, known-as the-infamous zionist-autocracy, which we have in this country.

Where connived elders-of-zion sustained corrupt-electoral-system via left-right-n-centre churning-party-machines yielded-as-norm incessantly-kosher-captains of charlatan's-ingenuity-knack to brainwash-naive-populous into-believing so-grotesque zionist-lies. Whose deceit is-the-norm for-diabolical-ideology to-operate-under. As a result countrywide subjugated dill-flock being-methodically indoctrinated to-believe in-trust and choices, solely based on-the-implausible faith-in-nothing but lying-rodent-rhetorics.

Our nation downwards spiral under diabolical-religion-ideology within the fascist-controlled-state is about to-become irreversible, with no-hope of redemption. Unless parliamentary political system is removed from the zionist clutches and replaced with a non-party (truly secular), an independent people's system. Which to allow democratic electorate constituents to elect those reflecting people's desired outcome, and not to face fait-accompli economic plunder by the elders-of-zion conglomerate of the voracious-religion modus-operandi ... that enslaves the people.

No surprise, when a mass-media hijacked country was allowed to become a fully controlled monopoly enterprise, maintained and inputted heavily by the global-media-barons. Closely aligned with the factional two-party-system, flip-flopped periodically to maintain the mirage of democracy. Although if the mainstream media mouthpieces were unbiased -- they would give independents as-much coverage as-they-give to the debauched lib/lab duopoly of the willing connivers. Yet anyone with a great-idea designed to-improve our political system have no-hope of getting-ever-heard. Instead any virtuously-aspired conscientious-dissident being hunted-down by-hook or by-crook and eliminated! In reflection on the traitorously stabbed in-the-back, our maverick Mark Latham.

With the next cardinal-target the internet-web, besieged already under disguise of pseudo-religious moral-rhetorics (don't you ever mention Big-Brother's debauchery or the bloody-hell okayed-slogan by Howard), solely to-control-its-content, specifically our free-speech forums, towards the limited kosher-extent, as Helen Coonan having already an-early-start from the corrupt seat-of-power, where parliament's interior benches array, moulded into significant zionist-menorah-insignia, empowered core connived jellyback spiteful pollies (evidently attracting as-well fresh-legal-eagles to-join-hegemony) ... http://ericmatic.free.fr/sitefolder/images/houserepresentative_JPG.jpg
Posted by Leo Braun, Thursday, 13 July 2006 3:28:38 PM
Yet we need-not to-accept any diabolically plagued hegemony, if we recognise that there is-a-real-choice once in-a-life-time to-make a change for the children of better tomorrow via earnest peoples opinion. Now striving all over-the-world, definitely as never before. Make no mistake, it's an-epic-struggle. Where alternative (if we fail-to-speak about it right-now), is-not just-a-conquest of far-away-countries, it's the conquest of us. Of our minds, our humanity and our self-respect. If we to-remain silent, the victory over us is assured [John_Pilger].

Not if we start to-adhere to-conscientious citizen's commonsense logic! Which dictates on local Electorate Offices to-enact a-vital umbilical-cord-interface between the electorate and periodically chosen MP, who must adhere-to the Representative Democracy notion. Where just-as-vital on MP was-to-serve the people, and not merely the executive rulers-of-the-day. While applying vested democracy aim in relation to-real economy generation, along the just-law and a solem-order maintenance within the social responsibility to-the community. Solidly set on-the equal-citizen's-rights within the principle-privileges: Subsistence, Health, Housing, Education and Employment opportunities.

Thus inevitably a local Electorate Office to-form communication exchange bureau for active citizens participation within the unhindered need-of-contribution via local parliamentarian's domain, towards the people's common-good. With-an-ultimate goal-on-mind for-a-direct, participatory democracy by-people and for-the-people. Onset to embody our collective responsibility to eradicate the parasites, who over-the-years painstakingly feathered their nests within the ivory-towers. Subject to elders-of-zion preselection-process with-a-hand picked treacherous leeches and their-filthiest-derivatives-rest. Conditioned to serve evil echelon masters, while forging this marvellous nation (if-not for-archaic vast-wastage-industries) into-oblivion.

One may be excused for having dejected perception at times of being just an alien visitor here from some distant planet. Thus having-to-face a user-pay consequences. Which must be contemptible for the conscientious citizens within a country where ensuing generations of youngsters grow and proceed into the adulthood without having a single elevated role-model. Someone to-look up-to (as our maverick Mark Latham), towards the impending achievements. Yet when vagabonds wouldn't care, many forsaken, disenfranchised citizens still got-to-face the utmost uncertain future to come. While being blacklisted on unemployable's heap all along, they take-a-stance to survive and proceed with life in the Ghetto Australis, within-so-paradoxically stunning land-of-plenty, we call it home.
Posted by Leo Braun, Thursday, 13 July 2006 3:29:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy