The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Limited by nature > Comments

Limited by nature : Comments

By Aila Keto, published 22/6/2006

Can we sustain reasonable quality in our lives with less land, less water, less waste and fewer new resources?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
This is good Perseus. I am pleased to see you really entertain the population issue and give it a lot of careful consideration. I don’t want to be provocative or trigger another brawl but you have been condemning in literally hundreds of posts of those are concerned about population issues. So excellent.

And what’s more, I largely agree.

It is true that some regional areas could do with population increases in order to justify maintenance of all sorts of services in small towns and roads and other infrastructure.

It is also true that in many cases a population increase could actually lead to improved management and decreased environmental damage.

But an extra 5 million people or whatever would add a lot of pressure to areas other than Sydney, Melbourne, SEQ and Perth. Coastal north and central Qld, coastal SW WA, coastal northern NSW, Darwin and others would continue to feel the pressure.

It is not a straightforward story. We always have to consider economies and diseconomies of scale. But one thing is for sure, continued overall rapid increase in population, given our knowledge of resource and sustainability issues, is just madness.
Posted by Ludwig, Thursday, 29 June 2006 10:03:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy