The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Nuclear power: not green, clean or cheap > Comments

Nuclear power: not green, clean or cheap : Comments

By Mark Diesendorf, published 16/6/2006

Nuclear power, based on existing technologies, is a dead-end side alley on the pathway to reducing CO2 emissions.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. All
Rod Adams

I suspect you have little idea of the excessive carbon emissions produced to fuel a nuke reactor.

Have a look at my post on "General" "Nuclear Renaissance Expected To Get The Thumbs Up From Taskforce".
Posted by dickie, Wednesday, 29 November 2006 12:19:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rod Adams, seem to over looked that a nuclear submarine is not a Nuclear Power Station?

But hey with a Year 10 Education what would I know about the different?

And he has seen to over looked you need evidence not comments especially regarding his claims:

"Over the past five years the average nuclear plant in the US has run at a capacity factor of very close to 90%, and during the past several years their operating cost has been slightly above hydro, but well below coal, gas and oil. (Though oil is a fairly small percentage of our power, that portion is still more than 3 times larger than wind and solar power combined.".
Posted by Kwv, Thursday, 30 November 2006 3:13:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You are not lying anti-green are you sure?

Because now the deaths are 15, because wasn't it nine or some other numbers before?

And what is the link to page 16 of the Chernobyl Forum?

But then again why you believe information on a forum?
Posted by Kwv, Thursday, 30 November 2006 3:17:51 AM
Kwv.

Let me point out to you in the gentlest way possible that education is a life long process and does not start or end with year 10. A career in science etc. requires many years of intense university study in a number of complex subjects. This stage is terminated by examinations and the award of a degree or diploma. One then goes on to write a thesis, obtain higher degrees and a doctorate. Then there is the discipline of writing papers for publication in peer reviewed journals. Another source of learning is by attending and delivering papers at national and international scientific conferences.

In the course of this work one gets to know, sometimes personally, sometimes by reputation only who is who in the field. The practising experts are to be found in universities, industry and in the various scientific agencies of the United Nations and other reputable organisations.

So why do I trust the forum: Because I look at its membership. Read and search out their references and assure myself that the majority are from journals of high scientific standing.

Below is the final paragraph of a letter dated 6th June 2000 from Lars-Erik Holm, M.D., Ph.D. (Chairman of UNSCEAR), to Mr. Kofi A. Annan Secretary-General United Nations, when he presented the UNSCEAR 2000 report. UNSCEAR was a party to the CHERNOBYL FORUM.

“May I also remind you that the United Nations (through its Department of Humanitarian Affairs), UNSCEAR, UNESCO, UNEP, FAO and several other organizations within the United Nations family, such as WHO and IAEA, as well as the European Commission and the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, co-operated in the organization of the International Conference ”One Decade After Chernobyl” which was held in Vienna in 1996. This Conference concluded with an authoritative summing up of the consequences of the Chernobyl accident. UNSCEAR has just adopted its 2000 Report to the General Assembly with scientific annexes, one of which, entitled ”Exposures and effects of the Chernobyl accident”, updates and confirms the findings of that Conference and its general conclusions.”
Posted by anti-green, Thursday, 30 November 2006 12:45:13 PM
You are right in part anti-green, education does not start or end with year 10, but this doesn't mean you have to goto university to get the education just like me.

As there is a thing called life.

Now back to the issue:

anti-green you need to education yourself to do research and provided other information and evidence in your comments.

As when you mentioned the forum, you never ever mentioned The Membership or the exact numbers.
Posted by Kwv, Saturday, 2 December 2006 1:31:07 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy