The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > States should embrace reform - it’s in their interest > Comments

States should embrace reform - it’s in their interest : Comments

By Des Moore, published 5/6/2006

State governments should encourage private sector involvement across a whole range of government services.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Not a single post in support of Des Moore! I'm impressed!

Don't need to say any more, except this:

Just how is the financing of private schools a "saving" to me? If I can't afford to send my kids to one, then I'm paying double - first for the subsidies to the private school I can't afford, and second for the state school that I hope will be able to provide everything my kids need when they attend.
Posted by petal, Wednesday, 7 June 2006 10:48:41 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I wonder how long Des Moore would survive if he were sent off to Bolivia to try and tell them about privatising their water supply.

Some cities in the USA have taken back control of their water supply (so they can safely drink the water) and their electricity supply.

The private jail system in the USA seems to work well for the shareholders,they manage to have far more people in jail than any other country in the world.

I suspect that our system of political donations (called bribery in third world countries) already means that our government is already privatised.
Posted by Peace, Sunday, 11 June 2006 6:54:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Let's not forget, Petal, that parents of private schoolkids pay taxes too. If you are paying double, then they are paying triple:
1) Paying to send their kids to a private school
2) Paying taxes to fund the private school
3) Paying taxes to fund the state schools.
Posted by Otokonoko, Wednesday, 14 June 2006 11:25:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Two points, otonoko:

1. How many of those private school parents actually DO pay tax?
2. If a private school parent decides to change their child's school to a state school, then they can do so with no difficulties whatsoever.

I don't have that option, so I'm paying for something I can't AFFORD to use.
Posted by petal, Friday, 23 June 2006 2:05:45 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes its fantastic that people are awake to the evil that is Des Moore.
He will keep publishing though.
I suspect Opus Dei like, he enjoys a good flogging.
Posted by hedgehog, Friday, 30 June 2006 4:55:24 PM
Hi Petal,

I'd say most private school parents DO pay tax. My parents did, and we were never wealthy. I appreciate your concern, but I do believe there is a legitimate place for private schools in our country. I would have been swallowed whole and spat out in little pieces if I had been a student at the school at which I now teach. If nothing else, my private education sheltered me from the realities of the world at I time when I did not need to face them. My family went without a lot of luxuries for that privilege, and I don't regret it.
Posted by Otokonoko, Thursday, 3 August 2006 11:14:49 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy