The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Time to remove the neglected generation > Comments

Time to remove the neglected generation : Comments

By James McConvill, published 31/5/2006

Child protection laws are there to protect children, whether Indigenous or not, so let's use them.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
continued

The dominant paradigm in Australian culture is pretty well conservative and reactionary. It certainly has cultural supremacists, supposedly representing it, who will jump on a single aspect of a whole “outside” culture to dump on that culture and its peoples. You only have to read the conservative cliché laden language folks get bombarded with if they try to defend or show the positive aspects of other cultures. Now they are howled down. The stereotyping of the lefty-bleeding- heart, do-gooder is so overdone it is funny. But here is the rub, these right wing politically motivated folk like James McCovill are so caught up in their own position and positioning that they can’t see that they are now the ones being politically correct. I can’t recall such measures being pushed and the right being so vocal in relation to child abuse in the church and private schools. But that is different?

Anything that damages children is wrong and indigenous people don’t need conservatives telling them that. Indigenous culture as whole is dynamic can change for the better in that aspect. It is a bit rich that a mainstream that whitewashes child abuse and glosses over their own atrocious behaviour is offering advice to other cultures. Talk about political correctness.

So James your first sentence should read. It is unfortunate that we have allowed this clear and simple fact to be overshadowed by the political correctness engineered by the bloody minded of the Right.

Homework
Research indicates that pre-invasion there were 750,000 indigenous people in Australia, and now there are around 200,000. There were 500 distinct groups using 200 distinct languages.
Research indicates that pre-invasion there were 750,000 indigenous people in Australia, and now there are around 200,000. There were 500 distinct groups using 200 distinct languages.
Posted by rancitas, Thursday, 8 June 2006 5:54:14 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
James McConvill is a perfect example of why we should support 'Stem Cell Research', eventually it may be possible to grow James McConvill a BRAIN!!
Posted by darkangel, Wednesday, 21 June 2006 10:59:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
According to Andrew Bolt,there never was a stolen generation,and anyone that disagrees with him is wrong,it will be good to hear from others what they think of Andrew Bolt's version
Posted by KAROOSON, Tuesday, 4 July 2006 4:52:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
yes
Posted by Anny, Thursday, 5 July 2007 8:49:13 AM
Apart from all the other issues involved here, I know the simple truth is that a traumatised child leads to a traumtised adult.
Having been removed from my parents at 2 years for about 2 weeks and dumped in a children's home by well-meaning relatives and abused there-in, I've needed psychotherapy for years to deal with this. I can only be horrified that forcible removal and its inherent evils for the child is put forward. There are some valid points raised by James but his suggestion is certainly invalid.
Communities need empowerment that has to start with consultation, education, meaningful lifestyles i.e. work, activities that build up the strength of the community etc. It starts with the babies and is worked up to change from this start. Sure, there need to be boundaries and laws but a strengths-based approach designed by aborigines themselves with our support(the average aussie who usually turns a blind eye to all this, myself included,)plus positive government intervention is the only way I can see could work here.
Brutalised people act brutally.
Posted by Anny, Thursday, 5 July 2007 9:09:47 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy