The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Direct debited social solutions > Comments

Direct debited social solutions : Comments

By Andrew Laming, published 10/5/2006

Only further research can determine whether welfare debiting is the next big thing or an exercise in futility.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Here's a hypothetical. I'm a parent with two kids (3 & 9), on welfare, and an alcoholic who spends the majority of my benefits on booze. My kids are neglected and rarely eat anything but two minute noodles or the occasional cheeseburger (bought when I go to get my money from the bank, which I get to by taking the bus as I don't have a car). One day I am visited by a social worker because my 9 year old has been missing school (and I didn't know, I rarely know where she is). Seeing my domestic situation (I'm drunk when she comes) the social worker reports me to Centrelink.

They deem, in the interests of my children, that I'm to only get one third of my benefits as a monetary deposit in my nominated account. To access the other two thirds I'm given a 'smart-card' which can be used to purchase food, pay for electricity and fuel (even though I don't have a car). At first I'm really angry that my choices and liberties have been curtailed, and even angrier that I cannot spend all my money on booze.

However, after thinking about it I see a solution. I call a few friends and one comes to pick me up. We drive to the nominated fuel outlet (coincidently it is affiliated to a supermarket chain) and we put in fifty bucks of fuel. I pay using my smart-card and my friend gives me the cash. We then go to the supermarket where I buy two hundred bucks worth of food. My mate then give me a hundred bucks cash and buys me a couple of bottles of Jim Beam in exchange for the food.

I then get dropped back at home where I get smashed, ignore the 3 year old's plea for something to eat and have no idea where the 9 year old is. Situation normal, just a bit more hassle getting there.
Posted by minotaur, Tuesday, 16 May 2006 12:08:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
seeker, I suspect that your "irony" was a bit close to actual attitudes held by some to be recognised as irony.

This debate could be approached on a 80/20 (or some variation of the above). About 47% of all substantiated neglect and abuse occurs in single parent lead households. Where abuse or neglect is identified in a single parent household check and see if the other parent is able and willing to have the care of the kids, if so provide them with some support to help them manage their employment and parenting responsibilities then let them get on with being parents. That in itself would be a good start to the issue of child protection. Where there has been a substantial lack of balance in the property settlement as a result of the "need to care for the children" reverse it.

Kids will suffer some harm during the transition but I expect much less than being left in the primary care of a parent who's main interest in them is CSA payments, FTB (parts A and B) and their beloved pension.

The above would not be suitable in all circumstances but it might be a viable start in some cases and provide some incentive for better parenting in other cases.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 16 May 2006 1:48:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Indeed R0bert. It was written with a liberal dose of sarcasm and irony, but even to me it rings true on so many occasions.

I look forward to this year’s end, when I finally gain my independence and cease to be a “client” of that great Australian institution – the CSA.
Posted by Seeker, Thursday, 18 May 2006 11:21:21 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy