The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Not just in Fairytopia ... > Comments

Not just in Fairytopia ... : Comments

By Judith Ireland, published 3/5/2006

Cosmetic surgery suppresses our individuality as we conform to a norm of beauty.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
The question here is how far do you suggest we evolve the central premise of your work. Should we ban cosmetic surgery for children born with servere facial deformation? Should we start rolling out the elephant men again?
Posted by DLC, Wednesday, 3 May 2006 12:55:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well said, DLC. Where should the line be drawn?
Unwarranted plastic surgery make-overs can be something of a turn-off from a healthy society, as in the manner of rings in the tongue or belly-button.
But at least I am glad that a skilled workforce providing the services does exist for those desperate times when there is a serious need.
Posted by colinsett, Wednesday, 3 May 2006 4:26:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While the extreme examples of "plastic surgery gone mad" such as Michael Jackson are obvious, to trot them out as a reason to avoid such surgery is not fair nor logical. The "natural is best" view denies the clear inadequacies of the human genetic lottery. The view that surgery addicts are blindly following social norms is also flawed as we know that the perception of beauty is almost universally agreed. While it would be a pity for someone to think they are unlovable without an overhaul, there is no doubt that some feel a change is an improvement and who are we to deny those people.?
Posted by Atman, Wednesday, 3 May 2006 8:10:35 PM
I am not sure how practical it is to restrict plastic surgery. Where do you draw the line and what about straightening crooked teeth or even fancy hairdos? I think you just have to rely on common sense and accept that there will always be some eccentrics who go overboard like Michael Jackson.

The underlying issue is that people don't feel beautiful as they are and it is hard to make money from people who like there own looks.

Advertising in the states is much more powerful than in Australia. I start the first week of each trip there completely depressed as I am convinced I don't have enough super to retire on nor enough medicare to cover the myriad of diseases that await me.

It seems that we are living in a new reign of commercial terror, where every one is scared into working too hard for stuff they don't need.

Bring back hairy armpits I say.
Posted by gusi, Thursday, 4 May 2006 12:02:25 AM
Judith didn't say anything about banning plastic surgery DLC, and I would say it is pretty obvious that she isn't targeting the correction of extreme facial deformities.

Obviously there is an important place for cosmetic surgery for the reconstruction work that improves the quality a persons health.

Judith is just bringing up questions about how far you take it if it is purely for appearance--and she is not offering a solution, just questions.

Some people who go in for surgery would be able to achieve similar results on a good diet and exercise program with a personal trainer and dietician. I appreciate that some may not be able to sustain this but are others really giving themselves the chance?

Others certainly look worse to me after the work. They may wind up going back for surgery to reverse or correct surgery that didn't turn out the way they thought it would.

Are women properly informed not just of the health problems associated with breast implants themselves but with the health and discomfort problems of having big breasts before they go into surgery? I have met some who find out afterwards who swear they wouldn't have had the surgery if they had known.

And bags under the eyes are often caused by food allergies. Would a cosmetic surgeon advise their clients that? I completely lost the bags under my eyes when I eliminated the offending foods.

As for looks, the fact is even people who think they don't judge people by looks do. Although sometimes it is just about being average than stunning. It can be hard for someone who was born with what is considered to be ugly in our society. I would be tempted if I had a large hooked nose (say) to get a straight one--I have a sister who has had one her whole life and I have been there when she has been teased and put down and overlooked by the boys because of it.
Posted by Aziliz, Monday, 8 May 2006 3:08:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy