The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The final session > Comments

The final session : Comments

By Howard Glenn, published 31/3/2006

After 60 years defending human rights the United Nations Commission on Human Rights has closed up shop.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Thanks to Howard for this important reference and analysis essay. I teach university-level international human rights and your piece will be an important update for my files. I have seen nothing like it anywhere alse. A good example of how one finds information on the Internet that isn't readily available elsewhere.

Was there any DFAT Ministerial media release, one wonders ?

Tony Kevin
Posted by tony kevin, Tuesday, 4 April 2006 12:31:01 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Penelope,

Yes by all means have something there but we also need to be realistic about how such a body creates a comfortable excuse for not doing anything.

Human rights are not the sole responsibility of a UN committee and there is nothing easy about detecting its flaws. What is easy is to piously denigrate any critique of flaws.

Tony, Do some searching on Indigenous perspectives/third world perspectives on the UN and you'll discover the other half of the world's opinion. I'm sure you're students would appreciate it too. The UN is after-all - a western invention.
Posted by Rainier, Tuesday, 4 April 2006 1:36:10 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy