The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Democracy is our servant > Comments

Democracy is our servant : Comments

By Nick Ferrett, published 17/3/2006

Can the republican movement articulate how any of us will be freer without a monarchy?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. All
I am not attached to monarchies per se, nor am I opposed to republics per se. I am also not especially attached to our monarchy for its own sake, but I do see certain important advantages in it. I see no particular value in generic arguments about other monarchies and other republics.

While I disagree with David about what would be achieved by cutting our ties with the monarchy, I agree with him that (provided the right model could be found) a switch to a republic would not instantly blot out the good sense of the Australian people.

Achieving a majority in all states is, of course, an enormous ambition, but it would be utterly pointless to aim for anything less.
Posted by Ian, Sunday, 26 March 2006 8:22:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Response to Plerdsus:

This latest post, I cannot fault it's factual basis or its argument. The only mitigating point is that in proposing a directly-elected Head of State is not exactly repeating the same reform as the 1999 referendum.

The main groups* which need to be held are:
1. Conservatives sympathetic to a republic but worried about change
2. Progressives who demand a directly-elected presidency
3. Those in less populated states and rural areas, wary of centralism.

(* of course, it is far more complex than this in reality)

There's no reason why groups 1 and 2 can be held with a directly-elected president with no real powers who replaces the Queen, but there is a change of mindset required for active republicans (those that have thought about republicanism for years, sticking to old ideas). For us the real work is under point 3 - you cannot provide for this in the constitution, but progress is being made here by my colleague Dr Peter Carden (see page 6 of the Copernican Gazette, http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~dlatimer/archive/Gazette-Issue1-Final.pdf)
Posted by David Latimer, Monday, 27 March 2006 11:40:48 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy