The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > IVF - in pursuit of the unattainable? > Comments

IVF - in pursuit of the unattainable? : Comments

By Daniel Donahoo, published 31/1/2006

Daniel Donahoo argues we’re overlooking social and ethical issues in our pursuit of perfection.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Kay,

I hope I don't offend you but I just want to ask you a question. You say that you will not have a heart transplant, that you will accept your fate and die. But if you had a loved on who needed a heart transplant, what would you want for them?

I largely agree that people need to stop being egocentric. I know people who have had IVF treatment and who went on to become wonderful, selfless parents. But then there are those who probably do it to meet some kind of societal expectation or for personal fulfillment. I don't want to judge anyone too heavily - for starters I'm not a parent and secondly I don't know if I'll ever have to consider IVF as an option because I’ve never tried having a child.

Aside from all this, I think that adoption or child sponsorship is also a worthwhile idea.
Posted by tubley, Monday, 6 February 2006 12:17:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kay,
I am so happy for you that you have had a fulfilling life, helping those of us suffering with a mental illness, you effort will be appreciated by all of us who are aflicted.

Seeker,
Goodness knows what on Earth you are on about, I certainly can't work it out, I can let you know though, when you are dead, you won't worry about sperm, yours or anyone elses, and it just could be you would approve of such a proceedure, as likely as you would not approve.

As for me, I was kicked in the groin when at primary school, which affected the amount of sperm I could produce. At age 42, with my second wife, 11 years my junior, through the IXY proceedure, we were able to have my one and only child, who has recently turned 7. I won't apologise for wanting her, I won't apologise for having her, she is a wonderfull girl, and is the apple of my eye. She is loved, cared for, and is a celebration of the love I have for my wife. If that is considered selfish, then I plead guilty, but I also thank God for the daughter I have, and would not take any other path.
Posted by SHONGA, Monday, 6 February 2006 12:21:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy