The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Fear of the clone word > Comments

Fear of the clone word : Comments

By Alan Trounson, published 13/1/2006

Alan Trounson argues that the need to save lives trumps ethical concerns about embryonic stem cell research

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Philo when people started cutting up dead people to see how they worked there was not a cure from any illness forth coming but they did come. Get over yourself.
Posted by Kenny, Monday, 16 January 2006 11:19:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kenny

Pluripotent Embryonic Stem Cells are so important to research because they can turn into any kind of human cell.

Others cannot, the 3 kinds of adult stem cells can only make similar cells to the tissue they came from.

That is why we need more research.
Posted by Steve Madden, Monday, 16 January 2006 2:25:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Who is fearful of the word clone? It seems to me, after reading Professor Trounson’s article, that perhaps he is - he seems very keen to use other words to define the subjects of his research – and very keen to convince us that he’s not dealing with embryos (“in the usual understanding of this term”) either. He has given very unscientific, in my view, platitudes that because he is not dealing in the combination of sperm and egg, “opposition to forming embryos for research is really irrelevant “. What ? Is an egg and a sperm the only way to make human DNA come together these days? Surely he has more respect for our knowledge of science than that? He also reassures us that nuclear transfer embryos “have little or no capacity to develop to term”. Dolly was a somatic cell nuclear transfer clone that developed to term. I’m not convinced by the paternalistic rhetoric. Are you?
I am not reassured by his hailing of the ethical controls over the Korean scientist as evidence of “vigilance” either. Or of his use of words to discredit the scientific runs on the board with ethically unadulterated adult stem cell research. I do note he is not using the miracle cure language of previous writings instead only promising to “offer new research opportunities”. But there is no mention of the embryos' use in pharmaceutical testing -perhaps those are inconvenient words too?
Me thinks you reassure us too much Professor – are you ashamed of what your clever words really mean? Are you afraid we might find out? Little humans made for pharmaceutical and research industry and then to die…no choice about that…and no parents to defend them. No wonder the word clone and all it represents makes you scared. Changing the words you use to describe it doesn't reassure me though. What about you?
Posted by INDOGIRL, Saturday, 21 January 2006 4:51:07 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy