The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > UN as a force for world peace? > Comments

UN as a force for world peace? : Comments

By Rob Shilkin, published 12/1/2006

Robert Shilkin argues if Iran’s nuclear program is not halted, peace in the Middle East will be further away than ever.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Iran with nuclear weapons,this must be a nightmare even for us lefty's who from some of the posts to this forum, beleive we are in the favour of the destruction of Israel,and setting up a communist goverment there.My grandmother who was Jewish would be mortified.She didn't like Arabs, fascists or German Sheppards either must be a Jew thing I don't know. Still she's dead now rest her soul.

Irans building (if that's what their up to) nulear weapons must be stopped,however I hope that a political solution can be found and not a pre-emptive strike by the U.S. or indeed Israel,still doing nothing is not an option either..After the Russians having there noses rubbed in it for so long by the Americans, this just may be catylyst for a super power confrontation.With the current economical ties Russia has with Iran ,doing nothing is not an option for Putin either.He loses no matter what he does.

Hey Philo! excellent piece,pity you lifted it straight off the net.I would like to have seen you include a bit of info on that Pahlavi bloke,You know that fellow,he used to don a crown now and then, who also killed thousands of Iranian dissidents, probably fed the christians to the lions or were they persians then who cares what's in a name. The trouble was he was pro-western., and that makes it just dandy.But you see I don't have to consult my Funk & Wagnalls or the net, it's all in my head,cause hey I was around at the time.
Posted by PHILB, Friday, 13 January 2006 12:51:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The UN is not a democratic organisation, it is purely a means to hoodwink the world populance into believing that there is a body that cares and supports the oppressed of the world. Sure it jumps up and down every now and again, but it's real job it to shift the focus from the reality of what the elite are doing, bleeding everyone dry.

The amount of corruption and bias within the UN will probably never be known, but you can see its influence, in what action or non action the UN takes. Sudan and lots of africa requires UN intervention, but you wont see it. The controlling interests don't want their economic power and control upset and those countries don't provide an economic advantage for them

The middle east is not getting better, it is collapsing rapidly as is most countries controlled by religion. There will be a nuclear conflict. As long as there are nuc's, they will look for a reason to use them sometime. A surgical strike was what the US used in Iraq, note the outcome.

The US will attack Iran in the not to distant future, they have to control oil or the US will collapse within 3 years. Laugh, but it is already happening

Just another piece of fantasy by a lawyer, but from that profession you can expect nothing less.
Posted by The alchemist, Friday, 13 January 2006 8:38:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No stewie my point it Israel has not signed the NNPT and any pressure on it to do so is being block at the UN by the US. The middle east is already nuked but we are trying to stop it from being balanced by the other side. History has showed that countries only go to war if they think they can win. Read your history books find out why the US didn't use nukes in Vietnam. Nukes are to foreign policy as the colt was to the wild west. Ultimately what I'm saying lets get rid of all nukes..
Posted by Kenny, Friday, 13 January 2006 9:15:57 AM
I was in Iran last year and was struck by not only the friendliness of the people, but in particular, by their disdain for the mullahs. Even those that didnt speak english, made the sign of the mullah (a swirl of the finger around the top of the head) and signs of disgust. A remarkably common practice. In Tehran, I noted squares like Khomeini square with many policemen around the periphery no doubt to contain any embarrassing protests as have occurred in the past. With the Guardian Council vetting aspiring politicians rejecting any ‘reformists’ , it is clear the government does not represent the common will of the people. Iran is repressed. Satellite TV is limited to feel-good channels. Again the people of Iran are among the friendliest I have met.

While there, I met with people who made it clear that Iran was funding the terrorists in Iraq for the last thing Iran ones, is a demonstrated success in democracy across its border. Arguably heresy but most plausible.

With tightly controlled media (one Iranian put it to me, “We have freedom to speak, until we speak”) the people will be readily led by the government. A nuclear bomb will cement the power of the regime and caste a shadow around its neighbours. So then what should the UN do?

Time and again, the UN barks leaving it to others, NATO or the Americans to fill the gap and then, of course, where there is self interest. A model for action was in Yugoslavia where Milosevic had some 82 per cent popularity that fell within weeks to below 20 after NATO took out the TV station. Here is an ideal role for the UN, like in Zimbabwe, North Korea, to somehow do contribute to undermine the media. I have little doubt the Iranians would love to come out of the cold. The regime needs removal. The UN like the club it represents, respects sovereignty – the rub
Posted by Remco, Friday, 13 January 2006 11:25:10 AM
The United Nations does have the potential to be a force for world peace.

However the U.S. Britain, France, Japan, Germany, and other 'leading' nations will not allow this to happen.
It would take away their power.
And who wants to give up their power, ...anybody ?
Posted by Coyote, Friday, 13 January 2006 5:30:48 PM
"The middle east is not getting better, it is collapsing rapidly as is most countries controlled by religion. There will be a nuclear conflict. As long as there are nuc's, they will look for a reason to use them sometime. A surgical strike was what the US used in Iraq, note the outcome."

Alchemist, sadly I have to say that I think you are correct. Iran knows that the West is hooked on Middle East oil, so sanctions would be a joke and a failure. The US has also shown that its idea of
hijacking a country and its oil won't work either, there is more to it then owning lots of planes and bombs.

Somebody will misuse nukes one day in the Middle East, believing that their god is on their side. Thats the sad state of human stupidity and the danger of religious fanaticism.
Posted by Yabby, Friday, 13 January 2006 8:42:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy