The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Helping others to help ourselves > Comments

Helping others to help ourselves : Comments

By Tim O'Connor, published 30/12/2005

Tim O'Connor argues Australia often only provides aid when it is considered to be in our own interest.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Happy New Year Leigh, Love your posts! xxxoooo
Posted by Rainier, Sunday, 1 January 2006 6:08:06 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
miacat

Good post mate! Thank you.

Kay
Happy New Year
Posted by kalweb, Sunday, 1 January 2006 9:58:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It should not be the point of what Australian tax payers generously share with the rest of the world.

Australians need to start looking at what their childrens futures will be lacking.

Currently we are heading on the user pay mentality with our health systems.

We currently have what we call free medical treatment with our medicare system and leview charged to the tax payer but we are hearing more from our sick patients and the lack of money to provide them will the best medicines available.

Many of our sick are selling their homes to be able to access the appropriate medicines or be in the later stages of disease to qualify for them.

So many of our social structures and institutes have been downgrounded to a skeleton or advisory council to the government.

Our infrastructure and this includes our need to invest in the future retainment of water supplies which will be our greatest need.

Australians would want to know that the money that they were providing was spent where it is intentioned to go.
Posted by Suebdootwo, Monday, 2 January 2006 12:06:00 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rainer,
It appears Leigh does not read our posts in their entirety, only the parts which rebutt his/her foolishness, I think you could be correct, maybe she/he has the hots for us. However we still will not tolerate fools easily, whether they fancy us or not will we....
Posted by SHONGA, Monday, 2 January 2006 12:28:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Miacat, did you know, no obviously you did not, know that Jimboomba, 50 kilomrters from the Brisbane GPO, is the pump capital of Queensland.
Yes thats right, Beaudesert shire has 35% of its population without town water, or sewerage. It cost me, & all my neighbors, about $8000 each, to provide water, & effluent systems for our families. I have 7 pumps to do it, & I don't live near Cooktown.
I get so sick of city people assuming that every one, other than realy isolated communities have all the services that you take for granted.
Get out of your ivory tower some time & find out a bit about services, other than in the city, before you start bleating twaddle.
My community of 2000, would love to have the facilities supplied to the average aboriginal community of less than 1000.
But, you see, we chose to live here, with the lack of facilities, so we don't bleat about it.
Then we get the public transport waffle. It can work for our army of public servants, in their ivory towers in the CBD, but for real workers it WILL NOT WORK, in our cities, which have grown up with the car. Our living & working locations are too dispersed for public transport to service the travel requirements of a large percentage of the work force. Then add the requirement of transporting kids to school, or day care, & the impractically of public transport becomes an impossibility for the majority.
I am sick to death of academics, & public servants, after a study trip, thinking they can turn us into a copy of european cities which grew up with out the car.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 2 January 2006 2:37:26 AM
Hasbeen
Regarding your post – it has always been my opinion that some stiff necked bureaucrat will achieve less, think less and care less about people than those people would do for themselves. Hence, small government is better than big government.

It is also true that the number of “experts” with an opinion about any problem will grow exponentially in relation to the amount of public funds available to research that problem.

Australia is not Europe and many of the problems of today were created by the 'experts' of yesterday telling us it was.

Leigh

Don’t worry about shonga and rainier. You join a select group of us. We are regularly assailed by low life lefties who try to deny the fact that individuals can think and reason for themselves. They ignore the reality that individuals blossom with ideas and have the right to express individual views. They are indoctrinated with the twisted dogma that, limited by their own capacities, everyone else should be likewise restricted, to ensure we all end up “equally” impoverished.

They forget that all human endeavour was initiated by individuals. Even great public infrastructure decisions originated from the idea of one person whose enthusiasm and drive motivated and inspired others to give support.

Oh rainier “Sheep get fly blown, online opinion has you. We’re just doing our job.”

That explains why your ideas have such limited general appeal, -

They originate from the toxic residue of an old sheep dip
Posted by Col Rouge, Monday, 2 January 2006 5:09:27 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy