The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Legalising abortion in Victoria > Comments

Legalising abortion in Victoria : Comments

By Sukrit Sabhlok, published 28/12/2005

Sukrit Sabhlok argues politicians should hand over personal decisions on abortion to private citizens and their clinicians.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
DF, once we leave religion out of the picture, there might well be arguments about abortion, but I have yet to see any that stack up.

At that point we have to accept that humanity is responsible for living sustainably on this planet, its not about god's plan, for he might just not be there to fix it all, when things go wrong.

It also means we have to accept the realities of biology. As Darwin pointed out in his "Origin of Species", far more individuals of any species will be created, then can every survive.

It is religion, going back to Augustine, which has created a distorted view about sex. Nope, its not just there for procreation. Its natural, its normal, its enjoyable, its meaningful, in fact people evolved with endocrine systems loaded with hormones to make it so. The byproduct of sex is that some individuals might survive, but not all will or can, as Darwin rightly pointed out.

Humility is called for in terms of accepting the laws of nature, not in denying them and taking a completely anthropcentric worldview.

I've read some of your other posts and you give an impression of being a Catholic or certainly being tied up with the Catholic Church in various ways. What is your connection to the Catholic Church?
Posted by Yabby, Sunday, 1 January 2006 10:28:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
DFXK
I do not resile from my position and I am not prepared to be pragmatic in the issue of a womans right to have an abortion if she so chooses. As I said earlier, that is not negotiable.
I am more concerned at the carnage that is being perpetrated on innocent, living people, by so called god fearing leaders of the 'free, democratic' world than I am about unborn amoeba.
On the aside....Yes, peace and liberation theology, in the same breath.The South American people certainly stuck it up the pope when he attacked liberation theologians. I guess you have to understand that the working people of South American countries have had their share of oppression by their governments and are beginning to awaken that there is an alternative .
I had the pleasure of having lunch one day with Father Brian Gore and Abilio Araujo, a Fretilin leader back in the late 70's both catholic liberation theologians and both supporting ordinary people in their desire for peace Justice and freedom from oppression.
My eyes are not clouded by religious dogma. I don't pray to a god and I dont seek ressurection or eternal life. You are what I expect of a conservative bible basher.You and Friedrich can share the "Pie in the Sky'
Posted by maracas, Sunday, 1 January 2006 11:10:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
maracas,

Is "ressurection" the same as "resurrection"?
Posted by FRIEDRICH, Monday, 2 January 2006 9:00:31 AM
Why does "religious tyranny" have anything to do with abortion?

The arguments for and against can be made secularly. Sorry to rehash a couple-month old article, but...

http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=153

All of the pro-life arguments are made without reference to religion, Catholic or otherwise.
Posted by YngNLuvnIt, Monday, 2 January 2006 1:12:02 PM
Abortion invariably boils down to religion, a bit like the ID debate.
Many anti abortion activists try to cover their religious agenda, or at least not freely admit to it, but a bit of research usually reveals the truth....

Around the world, when say the UN is trying to do something about ever rising population, or the WHO about womens health issues, the
Vatican is busily waving its flag, lobbying politicians, trying to coerce Catholics to influence Govt decisions.

Some people will even proudly announce that they are not Catholics,
next thing we find out that they are fundies of some obscure movement with a similar agenda. We usually get wiser as we get older :)

When politicians with a religious agenda want to force values on us based on that religion, yup thats religious tyranny!
Posted by Yabby, Monday, 2 January 2006 2:06:21 PM
Yabby,

"many anti abortion activists try to cover their religious agenda."

Please feel free to give an example.

Awating your anti Catholic diatribe.
Posted by FRIEDRICH, Tuesday, 3 January 2006 5:54:25 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy