The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A consumer's perspective on abortion > Comments

A consumer's perspective on abortion : Comments

By Rebecca Huntley, published 22/12/2005

Rebecca Huntley looks at abortion from a personal perspective.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. All
Every woman on this planet should have the right to family planning and abortion in the first tremester. It should be considered as one of our human rights! Sadly that is not the case, as those old farts
in Rome do what they can to prevent it.

Sadly religion and its claims still have a large influence on our
society, despite their lack of evidence. We need freedom of religion,
but we also need freedom from religion!
Posted by Yabby, Thursday, 22 December 2005 10:13:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rebecca

An interesting, yet cold article from my emotive perspective. Even so, straight to the point and well written - which is most times uncommon re abortion articles.

Prior to being diagnosed with infertility, I was always on the band waggon for women's choices about abortion. Emotion set in. I became angry with women who conceived, and who did not want a child. I became very angry with, in my view, their lack of responsibility.

I entered one of the first IVF Progams in Melbourne. Finally, my number came up in another state, some 5 years later (and many dolars on my part). I withdrew from the Program. My husband was a violent alcoholic. It would have been my luck to get pregnant under the circumstances. I could not bring a child into this world knowing that.

I was raped when I was 45 years of age - stranger bashing and rape by two men.

I was then glad that I was infertile.

I cannot pass judgement. I will not pass judgement. I have no idea what it is like to have a growing human being in my body - and the surrounding life circumstances.

Regards
Kay
Posted by kalweb, Thursday, 22 December 2005 11:19:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pregnancy is a private matter which significantly affects 1 person, the pregnant woman, insignificantly effects the contributing male (father) and not forgetting a glob of cells which might start to develop into an embryo then foetus and ultimately, if left unchecked, be born a as person.

It is not a public affair or issue. Plenty of women fall pregnant every day and it is their private event, not mine or anyone elses, except possibly to a far less significant degree, the father, if he even knows.

Pregnancy, being a private matter, it is only logical that pregnancy termination, abortion is also considered a "private" matter and not a reason for public acclaim or public criticism.

Numbers of abortions are merely numbers of private decisions made and therefore not something which could ever be considered as a matter of public concern.

Rebecca, you knew your circumstances and did what you needed to do in light of those circumstances. Your body, your responsibility and your decision.

Regardless of any compelling argument a prolife advocate might bring to the debate, I can guarantee that no prolife advocate will

Experience morning sickness, on your behalf
Risk the health issues associated with pregnancy, on your behalf
Risk the emotional issues associated with pregnancy, on your behalf
Undergo the social upheavals and life changing consequences associated with bringing a child into the world, on your behalf.

So, I for one will never understand how a prolife advocate can ever demand to make the decision as to not abort on someone else’s behalf.

Pro-Choice is about people exercising their freewill to make their own way in this world. Anything which demands to fetter that freewill represents what amounts to an obsessive controlling trait or a matter which reeks of co-dependency and as such should be actively resisted by cognitively competent people.

Magella – the matter of alternatives to abortion – if you mean surgical abortion – the alternative is RU486.
Posted by Col Rouge, Friday, 23 December 2005 4:24:40 AM
Huntley,

I have no respect for you on any level.

Abortion = Amoral.
Posted by FRIEDRICH, Friday, 23 December 2005 5:34:47 AM
Umm Friederich, you should have mentioned that's your subjective
opinion, no more. So no need for you to have an abortion :) Leave
others the choice. There is no objective morality, get used to it.
Posted by Yabby, Friday, 23 December 2005 6:23:48 AM
Abortion is the easy way out.

No excuses, take it on the chin, you dont have the guts to accept the consequences of your actions and at least allow the child life, you are stomping on the hearst of the growing number of women who are infertile, and on the rights of your child. there are plenty of people who will embrace the child, to kill it is a pure selfish decision.

Go and kill your child, then go back to uni or whatever and dont learn your lesson, and know just how easy it is if you make a mistake to correct it.

I understand it is a stressing and emotional time for the mother, but shouldnt it be? look what they are there to do.

I was unwanted, my mother would have certainly got rid of me if she could. Thank god i am here, at least realising my opportunity and right to exist once i was created.

For extreme (eg. rape) or medical reasons only, perhaps abortion could be a discussed option. not because it will interupt your precious life for nine months.

Stop this selfish streak, in 2005 you have all the support you need, and the options you need.

For the writer to say she was glad etc, how does she know? she does not have crystal ball and i bet if she kept it, or if she adopted it, it would be a much loved child indeed.
Posted by Realist, Friday, 23 December 2005 9:59:50 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. All