The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The forgotten literary canon > Comments

The forgotten literary canon : Comments

By Cireena Simcox, published 28/12/2005

Cireena Simcox argues our understanding of society is diminished by the silencing of Early Modern female writers.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Cireena, I must admit that the only one of your early modern women that I have read is Aphra Behn, although I am also not much of a reader of Donne, Marvell or Jonson. Not really my era.

Do you see your work on Cavendish as more political or more aesthetic? Do you see it more as doing justice in the face of prejudice or as working on a great writer who should be read regardless of gender?
Posted by Ian, Tuesday, 3 January 2006 2:33:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I expect it's a bit of both, Ian. I find it important to give Margaret a "fair go". The epithet of "Mad Madge" is often all that some people know about her so yes, I would like - as I said in my opening paragraph - The Duchess to be read without the labels "mad" eccentric" "female" etc. being flung about. And yes, I think that the originality of both her theories and her style should be read regardless of gender. But mainly, as a writer who used to feel as though I struggled all by myself to change the status quo, I find it of great importance that young women and girls as well learn to have pride in their own pasts and to be able to have role models. As for my having specifically chosen The Duchess and not, say, Lanyer or Carey for my thesis? Well. to put it in the vernacular...the lady is a real trip. As she is becoming more well known books both by and about her are now much easier to get hold of either through e.bay, local libraries or any good book store. So why not grab one and see for yourself?
Posted by Ankh, Wednesday, 4 January 2006 11:13:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy