The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Humble algae could be our saviour > Comments

Humble algae could be our saviour : Comments

By Roger Kalla, published 30/11/2005

Roger Kalla argues Australia is ideally placed to develop an alternative bio-diesel industry.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
Whatever the technology issues, it makes a lot more sense than producing alcohol from environmentally costly activities such as sugar cane etc which requires subsidies (some $80 million per year by my estimate) to be competitive.

And in any event, using algae is new technology and potentially exportable. The Australian government support (ie, us as taxpayers) for the alcohol for fuel program should be seen for what it is, disguised support for the marginal voting sugar industry.

An on-going downside of democracy is that government pursues distributed cost projects (ie subsidies) that provides a concentrated benefit (ie. jobs in NE Australia in this case). Sadly so algae for biodiesel is unlikely to be championed - the downside of democracy.
Posted by Remco, Friday, 13 January 2006 2:23:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I certainly do not mean to be disrespectful; however, to those of you who entertain population control: has it ever occurred to you that your birth added to an increase in this world's population? And I certainly hope you do not have children, for if you do, then again you have contributed to the "over-population" of our planet. Please be mindful of what you're suggesting--for some of us do choose to have children and are responsible for them fully. Our family has only 2 children, however, we work for a living and we grow our own food. We grow our own fibre for knitting sweaters and socks and other garments. We grown our own food (meat, milk and vegetables & fruits) I in no way see that it is appropriate to regulate the right of adults to procreate out of their love for one another and/or to carry on their lineage. I do agree that we must absolutely continue to teach about and make available more birth control methods to those who need/want it. We must also make it affordable. Birth control is not inexpensive--sterilization costs thousands and most insurances do not cover more than 80%. Prescription and over-the-counter methods cost hundreds if used regularly. Please consider what you are proposing because I will never be told by anyone whether I am allowed to give birth or not! I am not a farm animal to be regulated as the humans see fit!
Posted by graygiant, Sunday, 5 February 2006 5:18:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Graygiant -

Would decreasing immigration from 140,000 per year to 50,000 per year be an acceptable proposal for reducing population in Australia? That is what most population control advocates are hoping for. Most are also opposed to the government's $4000 baby bonus, but have no objections to current citizens having as many children as they can take care of.
Posted by ericc, Monday, 6 February 2006 6:07:55 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy