The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Tory Big Brother eviction show > Comments

The Tory Big Brother eviction show : Comments

By Peter Tucker, published 30/11/2005

Peter Tucker argues for the UK Tories to win government they must grasp the centre-right ground.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Alexander,

It is rare for a Tory to approve of anything that Ken Livingstone does but I concur that he is a remarkable politician.

He's far more pragmatic than many thought, more aware of the majority opinion than many had expected, but still brave as a bulldog. He is a real "crazy brave" but he has real control. That's incredibly rare - Keating had it as Treasurer but perhaps lost it when he was PM. No doubt Ken is more left wing than me, but as a governor I think that he is well within the tolerance band and runs a tight ship.

I also think London elections are more "progressive" than other parts of Britain so he is helped no doubt by this.

But the congestion charge, and a full bid for the games indicates a politician with a real win or lose mentality. He may not be PM material but he is a great inventor of his job, and an expansionist in his ability to have say in matters beyond his ambit.

I think Ken Livingstone could teach a Labor Premier a thing or two about risk taking. But then again - they keep winning too. So apart from John Howard the westminster parliaments are looking pro-Labor these days. Long may it be so. We've had to put up with Conservative administrations for most of last century across the board.

Thanks,
Corin
Posted by Corin McCarthy, Monday, 5 December 2005 8:24:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy