The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Worldwide web of control > Comments

Worldwide web of control : Comments

By Alan Anderson, published 17/11/2005

Alan Anderson argues surrendering the Internet to UN regulation would change it all - for the worse.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
I totally agree Bennie.

Although I agree with the main point of this article (which on the surface is saying don't censor the internet), it is clear to anyone who can read between the lines that the author is simply trying to discredit the UN and make a point (as false as it may be) that those dirty pinko lefties are at it again.

And if the Liberal party supporting author of this article believes in freedom of speech on the web, then answer this smart ar**...

Where did 'www.johnhowardlies.com' and 'www.liarsforhoward.com' dissapear to? Hey?

Both of those sites revealed the lies of the Liberal government and now they've magically disappeared. Funny isn't it?

So much for freedom of speech!
Posted by Mr Man, Friday, 18 November 2005 9:36:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mr Man

I haven't checked into johnhowardlies.com for a while (too depressing) - and yes you are right - its gone.

I found the following article on SMH website - from July 2004. There was an investigation into it and the website is no more.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/07/15/1089694467621.html?from=storyrhs

And this on liarsforhoward:

"AUSTRALIA: Bloggers, spammers face commentary clampdown

Internet electoral content should identify someone authorizing it, says Howard Government; during last year's campaign, Australian Electoral Commission lacked precedent to penalize anonymous political sites..."

http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article.asp?parentid=21838

As you say Mr Man so much for freedom of speech, so much for democracy. Say bye bye.
Posted by Scout, Saturday, 19 November 2005 10:37:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Alan Anderson grasp of the issue here is weak. Simple UN bashing piece.
The issue is that the web is indeed controlled by US law the servers that control the internet are under US law not international law this is the problem. Also because the servers that control the internet are all in the US they can listen on anybody anytime, and there is a some evidence that this does happen. International laws are often at odds with Countries and the internet is a good example the US controlled internet provides web address for Islamic terror web site and most of these are hosted by US web servers. Current US law allows sexual offenders to gain access to the internet that they might not have under international law. Alan has heard the words UN and jumped on the band wagon rather then looked at the issues of sovereignty and terrorism at least I hope so.
Posted by Kenny, Monday, 21 November 2005 9:50:01 AM
For the record, the idea of taxing the internet did NOT come from the United Nations. Quoting from a 1999 report is a bit suspect anyway as that's six years ago.

The point about community access centres in 1999 was that phone lines did not exist in third world countries. If you remember, we once used modems. Anyway copper still don't exist and probably never will. The third-world runs on mobiles, wireless and satellite.

Yeah, overall a pretty obvious and silly article.

The intereting thing about the Tunisian conference was the $100 laptop to be given to school children in developing countries. A dream maybe, but who knows!
Posted by David Latimer, Monday, 21 November 2005 9:32:46 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Scout,

Ah yes, I had forgotten about all that.

But I can't help wonder...

What was the reason for the sites not re-emerging?

Was it because the authors decided to keep their anonymity and not continue the sites?

Or was that they weren't allowed to continue at all?

With the diminishing freedom of speech in this country, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the latter.
Posted by Mr Man, Wednesday, 23 November 2005 9:31:38 PM
Mr Man

It is a worry isn't it? I am trying to consider ways to find out what has happened.

It would appear that control of the internet by the UN is the least of our problems, when our current government apparently has such a great deal of influence already.

Long Live OLO and other blogsites.
Posted by Scout, Thursday, 24 November 2005 10:03:51 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy