The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Campaign out of class > Comments

Campaign out of class : Comments

By Kevin Donnelly, published 6/9/2005

Kevin Donnelly argues that the Australian Education Union reinforces a left-wing bias in our schools

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
On the basis that you're stinky!
Posted by spendocrat, Wednesday, 7 September 2005 1:32:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey, I use deodorant almost daily, I'm not French or British.

Seriously though, if 98 per cent of people really were to the left of Peter Costello (whose thoughts on the republic and reconciliation are fairly progressive) then we would be living in a Cuba, not Australia. Ditto with the 99 per cent of Aussies who supposedly dislike the Yanks.

I'd say the split between left and right of the Treasurer is pretty even.

t.u.s
Posted by the usual suspect, Wednesday, 7 September 2005 2:03:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey enaj, I'm with R0bert and love your post - shame it appears to have been completely ignored by KD. But then that would conflict with his narrow view and cause mental confusion.

KD certainly is ascribing a lot of influence to just one union. Methinks teachers have minds of their own and are doing the best they can in spite of government cut backs to the public sector in favour of the private one.

Support democracy and send your children to public schools for a broad education and a wide world view.
Posted by Xena, Thursday, 8 September 2005 10:07:44 AM
Yes well all this talk about education is well and good; but will it win us the ashes! Lets focus posters!. Warne's got a michelle on day one - and Boycott is worried;

so who cares about a few commie primary school teachers telling their kids Brendan Neslon is a bit of a lair or Mr Howard might have played fast and loose with the truth about WMDs, Saddams links to El Kayeeeeda, Osamas skin condition,Tampa, the GST, Tesltra what Peter Reith did. Teachers are people with veiws - kids can and do make very sound assesments about them.

My teachers told me I could do well at school if I tried and the Christian Brothers told me pre marital sex was bad - except when they did it with my mates. So there ya go - even in the sixties teachers were a bit suss.

And it is highly likely that the media, teachers, academics, sheet metal workers and lovers of the haggis will lean to the left when the staus quo is fundamentally conservative; in the event that the left holds sway we will see a resurgance of right wing bias in those domains; it's an internal social counter balance kind of thing; you can read about it in my forth coming book entitled - "it's an internal social counter balance kind of thing" (working title only).

Show me an unbiased teacher, journalist or academic and I'll show you a corpse. Well paid and highly superannuated as a rule but dead just the same.
Posted by sneekeepete, Friday, 9 September 2005 3:01:29 PM
The illogical, ratbag comments here from leftists to a reasonalbe article by KD mirrors the attitude of the AEU. In effect they say: we don't care what the parents think, we don't care what the facts are, we don't care that most Australians don't subscibe to our views, just let us rehash some tired old Marxist pretexts about equality. Of course the not-so-hidden agenda is class warfare (and then they have the hide to lecture us about tolerance and peace).

The desperation of the AEU (and the rest of the left) is clear for all to see: they wanted Mark Latham to be Prime Minister!
Posted by mykah, Friday, 16 September 2005 1:18:02 AM
Crikey! mykah is hot under the collar on this one! gee willikers wot a spray for the left - and ratbags who occupy that land and awash with chardonnay, latte' and chatter.

Maybe the AEU reinforces left wing bias - after all they are a trade union - what do you expect a tribe of monarchists paying 'omage to Howard and Prince Brendan? people join unions for many reasons the least of which is that they susbscribe to all their policies; how many of us who vote really believe in everything those we vote for stands?

And I dont know that the AEU wanted Latham in the lodge as much as they wanted John Howard out of it (oops I forgot he does not live there )

My kids too sometimes come home complaining about over the top comments by teachers. We've encountered religious nuts, neo fascist bully boys and girls and yes, the evil lefty teacher. Our response is always the same - if you think they are wrong say so: and often they do.

I do not want teachers to care what I think; I dont want them to agree with what most of Australians think (how the hell you know what that is has me totally snookered) - i just want them to teach; throw in a few opinons sure but be prepared to be told your a drop kick if my kids dont agree.

Most of the comments so far have been fairly logical, some have been flippant and some irreverant BUT SO WHAT - even mine bear a resemblance to logic at times.

Things can be logical and you can still disagree with them, disagreeing with them does not make them illogical (there is a chapter in may book referred to in an earlier post on just that subject); it's headed - Things can be logical and you can still disagree with them, disagreeing with them does not make it illogical - to be published shortly by Readum and Wheap, a little known publishing house working from a disused factory in Ascot Vale.
Posted by sneekeepete, Tuesday, 20 September 2005 2:09:51 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy