The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Don't say the F-word! > Comments

Don't say the F-word! : Comments

By Kevin Donnelly, published 18/8/2005

Kevin Donnelly argues Australia must encourage competition in our schools, or risk creating a generation ‘F’ for failure.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
I am both a teacher and a parent. As a parent, I want to know exactly where little Johnny is up to in his education. I want to know it in a NICE way. Hypothetical. Little Johnny gets home from school with his report card. He has worked so hard this term, doing his homework regularly, trying hard in class. He's not a whiz at Maths, is excellent at English, but he tries his best at all times in all subject areas. I, as a parent, need to know where he needs the extra help at home. Little Johnny just wants to now if I am happy.

The report should be able to point out to me where his areas of need are. Reports are not supposed to be a big competition between classmates of who is the best at what. Especially not in the younger years. I don't need to know if Johnny came first. I need to know where Johnny needs help.

I am really noticing lately a big resurgence of competitiveness among parents vying for their child to be 'the best' at something. I'm all for a bit of healthy competition but some parents really take it too far. I just wonder what the cost will be to children's self esteem when they are deemed to have 'failed' too many times. I question the necessity for the use of the 'f' word in reports, I just can't see the justification for it.
Posted by farmgirl71, Sunday, 21 August 2005 10:39:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Their are a range of skills groups which drive our individual "success" or "failure" in life. These are not confined to mere "academic" achievement but include say - ability to interpret situations, ability to communicate, ability to participate etc. Each of these skills is an important component to a successful adult life, yet we remain "focused" on measuring children and adolescence solely on "academic prowess".

I agree the notion of pass and fail is possibly detrimental to those who "fail". I would suggest words like "acceptable" and "unacceptable" carry the same "stigma". I would suggest "pass" and "not passing" is playing with words.

Ultimately, I return to the principal issue - Why do we measure "academic performance"? - Basically to advise not only the "student" but likely employers or colleges of further education as to some of the "risk" involved with accepting or rejecting someone for employment or participation in further education.

Acceptable or unacceptable - pass or fail, degrees of pass or degrees of fail - all measurement has value - denying measurement for the sake of sensibilities has no value, is downright detrimental and potentially dangerous - maybe not too the individual but to those around them.

However, my real concern is, that with all we know, we still do not broaden the range of skills measured and considered for "successful life" because - it is in these presently unassessed areas of potential success that the "academic failures" will find the "pass marks" which the narrow base of present measurement woefully ignore.

So retain the "fail" but broaden the range of assessed skills - from which the "academic failures" will find redemption and a valuable "signpost" to the path of their future success.
Posted by Col Rouge, Monday, 22 August 2005 11:17:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Australian education system leaves alot to be desired.This is for a number of reasons.

Firstly it has become 'uncool' to be smart, and it is of much more immediate social benefit for children to play rugby for example. Schools have alot to answer for in this regard. My school for example continually associated academic under achievers and sportsman as one in the same.

Secondly we don't value educators enough, particularly in terms of salary. Not only does this cause discontent among existing ranks, but teaching recruits are often not up to scratch. Japan for example treats teachers as socially on par with doctors and lawyers.

Thirdly kids are put in cotton wool from pre school onwards. Studies show that children learn foreign languages for example far more efficiently between the ages of four and nine.Yet in Australia we tell ourselves play dough is the only way to go until they're six.

Finally another major contribution to the poor performance of our educational system is the lack of vocational training. Once again there seems to be an attitude that if a student isn't planning on university, they are lesser individuals. The left has perpetuated the nonsense that every Australian should be university educated. Having finished 5 years at uni myself, I'd love to swap my bank balance and lifestyle for that of my tradesman friends.
Posted by wre, Wednesday, 24 August 2005 5:03:40 PM
Much better that students learn about the F-word when they get to university and thay are paying to fail.
I'll bet the universities are rubbing their hands together waiting for more OBE graduates who will probably have to spend 5 years doing a 3 year degree.
I wonder when the universities themselves will adopt an outcomes approach so a degree from an australian university will be held in the same esteem as one from mozambique or bangladesh.
Posted by sciteacher, Friday, 20 October 2006 8:39:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy