The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Culturing the bias of 'our' ABC > Comments

Culturing the bias of 'our' ABC : Comments

By Ben-Peter Terpstra, published 10/8/2005

Ben Terpstra argues it is time to end the ABC culture of left-wing bias and restore some balance to its media coverage.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. All
That's funny DavidJS, last time i checked, Tony Abbott and Kay Patterson were elected representatives, who if enough people disagree with or dislike, can lose their jobs at election time. I don't know what this has to with an article about ABC bias - except for the fact that maybe a lot of ABC journalists agree with you.
Posted by the usual suspect, Tuesday, 16 August 2005 4:45:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It probably doesn't have a lot to do with supposed ABC bias. However, a point was made about "tidying up" (doctoring) unemployment figures and I illustrated how the current Australian Government does this right now.

But back to the ABC, as the Howard Government has been in power since 1996 and still there are complaints about its supposed left-wing slant (including from Liberal politicians). I can only assume Howard and Co don't care enough to actually do anything about this perceived problem. They are often good at rhetoric but don't actually deliver.
Posted by DavidJS, Wednesday, 17 August 2005 9:09:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
[That one stood out to me as I read through the list so I checked, can only wonder how many of the rest shouldn't be there.]

Maybe you're right. This list could be totally fictitious. On the other hand it might have been an honest mistake. The point I was making was that the ABC has been a starting point for many journalists, some of whom have moved freely between public and private broadcasting. I suspect, although cannot prove, that some of them would not have been able to have the careers they have without a public broadcaster that was prepared to employ them. If the environment was sheltered then perhaps that is what is necessary to nurture developing talent. Ignoring Bob Ellis's list entirely, I'm sure you can think of a few examples.
Posted by RichardA, Wednesday, 17 August 2005 8:00:44 PM
We cannot compare the Graham Kennedy era of the 60's to the present.The ABC of the 60's ,was more conservative than our present Coalition is today.So to conjure up heros of a bygone conservative era just gives weight to our stance of a self indulgent,self destructive ,weak leftist mentality that exists today.

Strong,courageous people have far more capacity for compassion than a weak leftist mentality,since courage,hard work,tenacity,and intelligence provide an excess that can be taxed,for the arts to indulge themselves in adolesent rebellion.

Too often the latte left take for granted ordinary workers who provide the taxes for their excesses.
Posted by Arjay, Wednesday, 17 August 2005 9:04:54 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I’d like to have my above post removed if possible (I will replace with more appropriate links). Maybe someone could give me a 'buzz' in the morning.

Ta
Alan 0415 765 283
Posted by jak, Friday, 19 August 2005 1:06:09 AM
G'day Al. Thiose links are very interesting, particularly the part about invasion of people's privacy.
Posted by lisamaree, Friday, 19 August 2005 11:05:24 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy