The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Academic martyrdom highlights university brain drain > Comments

Academic martyrdom highlights university brain drain : Comments

By James McConvill, published 27/7/2005

James McConvill argues Macquarie University’s attempts to silence an outspoken academic is a disgrace.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
I think this article expresses the situation at Aussie Universities quite well, despite what one thinks of those involved (Aslan's comments above)

Sure, disagree on the content or arguments made by the professor/lecturer, but certainly don't criticise them for MAKING their claims unless there is ABSOLUTELY no evidence to support their claims. And if there is no evidence, then ensure people know this and get the accurate picture.

I was surprised when an academic at my Uni (Adelaide) made a comment in my psychology lectures last Semester stating that on average, blacks have an IQ of 10 points less than whites and asians, on average, have an IQ of 10 points higher than whites. I was surprised because by the sounds of things at Macquarie and Deakin over the border, my lecturer was very lucky to be allowed to make this statement, which he backed up with hard evidence. Fortunately, his views were not criticised, to my knowledge or at least if they were, never amounted to anything like cutting his contract.

So basically, make any claim you like, but have hard evidence to back it up. This is where I would think Marko Bigaric et al probably got things wrong. The proper and only response from the University should have been to remind Mr Bigaric that evidence should be cited to back his claims of advocating torture in some situations. Otherwise, they should just get on with life and let Mr Bigaric know, through the public channels, that his views are baseless and ridiculous.
Posted by Dinhaan, Thursday, 28 July 2005 1:57:14 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It appears that a number of claims have been made by Professor Fraser which don't appear to be being tested.
- Comments about the average IQ of sub Saharan African's. Is there a basis for those claims. If so is the average IQ of those making it to Australia reflective of the home situation. Even if the average IQ of the african population was below the australian norm (maybe most of the smarter ones have been persecuted at home) it is be reasonable to suggest that those who make it to our shores might be above average. Also is there any proof that this group is over represented in crime figures in australia?
- Asian's are smarter and therefore more successfull. Again I have not seen proof that this is the case. If it is true it might not help me or my son to rise to the top of the pile but it might make the pile a better place to be. What problem does this cause Australia, other than pecking order consequences to the less gifted?

Lets see the professors proofs and if they exist test them for validity and relevance.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Thursday, 28 July 2005 7:07:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I see 'RObert' asking for 'proofs' of the different national IQs alluded to by Macquarie's Professor Andrew Fraser. I would refer him to R. Lynn & T. Vanhanen [the father of the present Prime Minister of Finland], 2002, IQ and the Wealth of Nations, Praeger. -- For a summary, see http://www.vdare.com/sailer/wealth_of_nations.htm - or for a fuller review see http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/AGDMFV3NSIUCZ/102-7602252-8172125. It is amusing that 'anti-racists' don't seem to read anything these days, even though my own explanation of IQ and its genetic basis has been freely available for some years at http://www.douance.org/qi/brandtgf.htm.
Posted by Crispian, Thursday, 28 July 2005 9:14:42 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The fact that James has to quote 4 paragraphs from one of his previous op ed pieces as authority in this op ed says it all.

James and Mirko: quantity in publishing doesn't mean its quality.
Posted by upaco, Thursday, 28 July 2005 9:49:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why do lawyers who don't cut the mustard in legal practice think academia is an optional (and easier) career move?
Posted by Rainier, Thursday, 28 July 2005 5:32:26 PM
Take it easy, Rainier. Most of us agree with you, upaco and Audrey
Posted by Jennifer Clarke, Friday, 29 July 2005 11:07:28 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy