The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Uncle Toms and Coconuts - racism in sport > Comments

Uncle Toms and Coconuts - racism in sport : Comments

By Stephen Hagan, published 9/8/2005

Stephen Hagan argues there are plenty of racists in the world of sport in Australia

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Can I suggest discrimination is a core part of our culture. Our culture is defined by the workplace, which is the epitome of discrimination. Everyone is expendable, and discriminated against for a variety of reasons: not performing, bad hair day, not good looking enough and so on.

Given the amount of fragile egos produced as a result of our ruthless and often cruel society, I think people attempt to lift themselves up by kicking someone else down. Hence racism is born. From the boardroom to the factory floor (especially on the footy field), discrimintion occurs on all levels in different forms. How is one ok, but the other bad?
Posted by davo, Tuesday, 9 August 2005 11:41:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Stephen..........I enjoy your articles. The small town in which I live predominates with Aboriginals. Our town has produced many fine footballers from the Aboriginal community. We stand proud of them all, and often refer to them as our own, and brush them with the symbol of the town (not the race). I enjoy the time of my life interacting in the community, and count many Aboriginals as true friends; not because of the race and not in spite of it either. But I do dodge "red kneck" establishments , for example, the local hotel, where the publican will call in his debts from Aboriginals, from the second floor balcony on Saturday morning. A humiliation no white would tolerate.
The answer to Aboriginal discrimination must rest in the hands of the individual. Is there another way?
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 9 August 2005 1:01:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If someone calls me a black c**t on the football field I'll ignore them or turn around and call them a fat c**t, skinny c**t, redhead- c**t, hairy c**t or whatever other adjective i think describes them best. in fact it is more offensive to be called a c**t than black. then if I kick a goal, you jam it right up them. Then I'll proabably have a beer after the game with them. What happens on the field stays there. You give and get.

As for Leon Davis, anyone who was listening to the call would have known Rex got tongue-tied, he apologised straight away. It was not racist in the slightest and Leon should get on with winning the football, something he has done very little of since 2003 when the Pies made the grand final.

t.u.s
Posted by the usual suspect, Tuesday, 9 August 2005 1:57:08 PM
Stephen Hagan is right in his assesment. I have played football in leagues with modest numbers of indigenous players - there was always an under current of rascism on and off the field. I am firmly of the view our society harbours deep seated rascist views that bubble under the surface. They destined to erupt in very unpredictable ways. Rascism remains an insidious and pervasive characteristic of our society.

I must also add though that people call others black C ---s out of fear ignorance and prejudice; or they may just call them a c--t for the very same reasons.

It has always struck me as rather paradoxical however that in a vulgar anatomincal sense heterosexual males seem to denigrate others by likening them to the object of their most base desires. Similarly with the word pr--k, it is used as a term of abuse by many men, and women too I suppose; but in the male arena a Pr--k is something most of them hold quite dear!
Posted by sneekeepete, Tuesday, 9 August 2005 2:46:50 PM
In my rugby league days it was quite common to hear racist sledging both on and off the field (from spectators) so this must confound those who 'want to keep it on the field'. While it did not completely throw me off my game, it was hurtful and especially if my own family were there watching alongside these same spectators.

Mal Meninga was quoted some years ago that he never encounted racism in his career. Funny that because we played for the same club in front of the same spectators aforementioned. He must have been wearing earmuffs?

I didn't know the 'great' Arthur Beetson said those things, but I’m not surprised. But I'm also heartened to know Peter Fitzsimmons 'gets it'.

The myth of the color blind level playing field continues for those not in agreement here.
Posted by Rainier, Tuesday, 9 August 2005 4:49:29 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Maybe Big Mal didn't have a chip on his shoulder and just ignored it and went on playing football rather than causing a fuss. Being thick skinned is the best defence, I reckon, or like I said before, give some back.
If someone is so insecure they can't take sledging on the football field maybe they shouldn't play.
Trust me, copping a stray elbow to the jaw or a good shirt front hurts infinitely more than the childish name-calling of some d**khead on the field.

t.u.s
Posted by the usual suspect, Wednesday, 10 August 2005 10:27:52 AM
I think the best defence for racist remarks is 2fold.. one is legal the other.. hmm :)
A quick and direct confrontation "Do you want to repeat that now" ?

But that way (depending on how it goes) can end up with you being munched up by the law.

Or.. same confrontation but a very articulate expose of their limited humanity with well chosen words.

The other way is cool calm confidence and success....

People who abuse others like referred to on the footy field are seriously socially challenged, and if they take that attitude with them into life, we can be assured they will one day encounter someone with a worse attitude and an angry violent disposition.. which will sort them out most likely.

But its also up to all of us, to exercise social discipline on others who speak this way to members of other races. We should give them a very clear verbal 'serve' about the unnacceptability of what they did.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Wednesday, 10 August 2005 4:59:52 PM
When I was a boy I wanted to be a cowboy when I grew up; my best friend wanted to be an Indian. I told him he was stupid because they are the baddies and called him an itchy-bum. We had a big slap up and the teacher went crook at us.

When Dad found out, he got Mum to get the strap down.

Now I am all growd up I fink i shoulda jus' called him a f#*k wit. That woulda put 'em on da right twak.

I wonder if my having a go at him stopped him from becoming an Indian. I quess i am the baddie now. Funny how things always come back to bite you on the bum.
Posted by rancitas, Thursday, 11 August 2005 5:48:45 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Great article Stephen, I think that professional footballers should not be political commentators just as much as I don't think I should play for the Broncos.
Having played all codes of football it is clear that the crowd don't care about our colour just whether the stereotypes help them win.

I once played for an Aboriginal team who were named after a famous orphanage in Perth. During one game we coped abuse from a small group on the hill. We did our best to ignore it but the racial and vile nature of the abuse caused the whole team to converge on the hill at the end of the game.

It was a narrow victory to their team so they had won in their eyes. Their team was across the field celebrating and upon seeing us ready to fight some of the spectators, they sent their captain over to fix the problem. He ran through us, jumped the fence and knocked the lead agitator out with a single blow. in shock we returned to the sheds and had a beer with him and his team.

He proudly told us that his nickname was "Whitey" and that his mother was a member of the orphanage (and stolen generation) we represented and he would never let anyone in the team or club speak ill of our team. I am still shocked by that amazing turn of events.

Racism can never 'stay on the field' because the racist attitudes of Australians will never stay off it!
Posted by 2deadly, Friday, 19 August 2005 1:01:43 PM
Yes, you may call them racists. but most of the time things are said in the heat of the moment - i know i've said some things that i later regreted, haven't we all?? when people say these things most of the time the comments are meant as a joke or to put someone off - like in an important kick or something - the people that mean these comments are just stupid. as for the E.S Nigger Stand in Toowoomba - who cares wht the stand is called. I live in Toowoomba and less than 1/2 the population care and only 1/2 would've ever used the stand. its not a racist name only a nickname!
Posted by the gal, Thursday, 1 September 2005 4:30:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy