The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Talk is cheap, tears are not enough, and being sorry will get you nowhere > Comments

Talk is cheap, tears are not enough, and being sorry will get you nowhere : Comments

By Brett Mason, published 27/6/2005

Brett Mason argues conspicuous compassion is not enough, we need positive practical measures to solve world problems.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Ah, Brett, another who offers only an either/or scenario.
Most of us think and feel and talk about lots of situations we feel strongly about, it may not be much, but it is something. It also keeps us engaged with the world and learning.
Some of us then turn some of our compassion into action, maybe money, maybe letters to papers, politicians, lobbying, joining citizens groups or political parties or volunteering.
A few saints take serious action and go feed the hungry and heal the sick.
Compassion is good, not good enough alone perhaps, but a good start. Without it, no-one would ever do anything.
Just as the promoters of exercise and healthy living have realised that asking people to do too much actually paralyses them, so we need to understand that every little bit of help, helps. Condemning small acts of compassion as not good enough will help no-one. And the importance of saying "Sorry" to indigenous people should be decided by indigenous people themselves, not by white Australians who tell them that much as they may desire a symbolic gesture, it is not appropriate for them to get it. That argument always sounds so arrogant to me and exposes a lack of not just compassion, but imagination.
Posted by enaj, Tuesday, 28 June 2005 4:38:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aid

Point one: Throwing monetary aid at world poverty is better than not throwing money at it in most cases. It’s just not very efficient. Which leads to-
Point two: As suggested above, it does not address or solve the root cause of the world’s problems (largely human inflicted).
There is at least one international organisation that has realised that the solution to world poverty & suffering lies within the individual. The New Humanists (Humanist Movement or Siloists) work with both the individual & society simultaneously, with the full understanding that we will not change unless we do precisely this.
This organisation is largely ignored in the western world. It is Latin (South America) based and has grown from 1969 to 2 million active members. It has substantial presence in South America, Northern Africa, India, Bangladesh & generally thrives in poor, “democratically” governed nations. It was not slow to establish itself in Eastern Europe post Soviet bloc.
The Movement has frequently been classed as a subversive cult, as a “brainwashing” exercise, as dangerous. There is a “Silowatch” website created by a disgruntled former member.
The organisation is not dumb. It is structured, it is cultured & has almost infallible logic. It can be harsh & intolerant of those who wish to speak but not act. It alienates a lot of people.
But it is correct. The results are starting to speak for themselves
Posted by Swilkie, Tuesday, 28 June 2005 7:53:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thankyou for pointing out my 'self-indulgent, and quite often harmful' ways. Before reading your article I believed a more compassionate approach to kids in detention was much needed. Shows how little I know.
Posted by Tieran, Thursday, 30 June 2005 1:21:58 PM
OK Swilkie, I'll bite. What do the Siloists believe to be the answer to world poverty and suffering?

'Silo, the Argentinean guru, sees the chief problem of society is that we are governed by "unprincipled pragmatism", too much choice facing any individual, and global (American) banking interests. He argues that capitalism has misled us to believe that free-market forces will ultimately relieve us of every problem, from poverty to the environmental crisis. He believes that we are in a period of "schizophrenic individualism" in which everybody looks after only himself.'

[From Arthur Chappell's review of "Silo: Letters To My Friends, Latitude Press 1994]

It's not the most earth-shattering analysis I have seen, but what my research couldn't uncover was any practical advice on what to do about it.

In what way do Siloists "work with both the individual & society simultaneously"?

You claim that "[t]he results are starting to speak for themselves" - could you give a couple of examples?

Frankly, my snap judgement would be that it is just another hangover from the drug-fuelled dreams of the idealistic Sixties. But I happen to believe in taking an objective stance on everything new that crosses my path, so if you have anything to back it up, I for one would be interested to hear it.
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 30 June 2005 2:32:29 PM
The answer to poverty & suffering is to create a ground swell of consciousness &understanding of the individual, society, & non-violence. The answer could also be 43.
Seriously now, the fact is that the more people involved in solving the above, the better.
Arthur Chappel’s review is correct & far too simplistic. A number of HM (it’s the usual abbreviation) publications exist. All the core work is deconstructive in the philosophical sense & to the point. It integrates a combination of Bhuddist-style philosophy & meditation techniques with practical approaches to local & universal social problems. The culture is, as previously described, South American based.
If one wishes to contribute, one will be asked to establish a group of associates with the same values & goals. The activities will be of your choosing within the values of the HM. Meditation involving ‘light’ & the ‘force’ will be explained & ‘guided experiences’ will be recommended. Your financial contribution, if any, will have no bearing on your status. Your status is determined by your (unpaid) activity.
The HM does have its origins in the generational crisis of the ‘60’s. Drugs are not involved. Full stop.
Most HM members are normal citizens, with normal jobs & day-to-day problems.
The structure is unashamedly a pyramid, with Silo at the peak. The structure will alter with time, but it is appropriate for now. It is simply his life’s work to create a structure of good that will outlive him self.
The more people there are with his values, the better

Links

http://www.humanisten.ch/hi/front/index.php?lang=en

http://www.humanistparty.org.uk/

http://www.humanistparty.org.uk/links.htm

Peace rally in Budapest March 22 photo published by SMH with full credit to the Humanist Movement of Hungary
Posted by Swilkie, Thursday, 30 June 2005 10:25:36 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy