The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The case against compulsory student unionism > Comments

The case against compulsory student unionism : Comments

By Alistair Campbell, published 16/6/2005

Alistair Campbell argues students will be better off under proposed voluntary unionism legislation.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
student unions bring benefit to whole communities, in ways that are not often noted - especially in regional areas.

i have studied at two regional universities, and one of the most important things that the union provides is entertainment - such as that of touring musicians. without unions subsidising the costs of some of the bigger bands travelling through out australia, smaller areas would be unlikely to ever get exposure to this level of live music. then there are other cultural things, such as watt space - the student gallery at the university of newcastle. the union pays for 2/3 of the gallery's costs. the gallery gives a valuable voice and training ground to art practioners from across the uni sector. it also adds to the social and cultural currency of the entire novocastrian art scene.

student papers give students a voice, and experience - which leads them into jobs. sporting groups, and subsidised gym membership make fitness and those social activites accessible. other social groups - like the philosophy club - give people a chance to come together for free debate, and this exchange of ideas is one of the many strengths of universities.

there is so much benefit from unions - and whole communities see the effects. to bottle it down to subsidised food costs it just simplistic and unrealistic. individuals might not use all services, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be there. councils provide public toilets. i might not use them much, but i wouldn't want them taken away...
Posted by Suse, Saturday, 18 June 2005 1:01:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The idea of subsidised food on campus is outrageous. I'm involved heavily here at Adelaide Uni and we actually make a profit from food (ie no subsidies).

I'm a big proponent of VSU. There are many arguments like 'VSU will cost jobs', 'Student Unions help the broader community', Uni Sport will die under VSU' etc.

Whatever your feelings about these issues are it all comes back to the fact that every student is compelled to pay flat fee whether or not they access any services. If the students don't want those services those jobs that will be lost shouldn't exist.

Sure the Left claim its all about Liberal Party ideology and it is -- if students want student unions to exist they will. In that sence, VSU is not anti-union.
Posted by tooRight, Monday, 20 June 2005 1:21:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
When I see proponents of VSU (especially young liberals) actively supporting low socio economic students, Indigenous students, gay students and others they abhor – and especially when student services no longer exist -- then I'll believe they actually do believe in true liberalism. So what characteristics does one have to have to join Young Liberals on campus? (Besides a bad haircut) Follow this link and don’t say I didn’t warn you: http://www.alsf.org.au/alsf/committee.asp
Posted by Rainier, Monday, 20 June 2005 6:11:09 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Young Alistair wrote:
"Recent evidence shows it has not been the case. Melbourne University, which had revenue of $14 million, recently went into bankruptcy. Without professionals looking over the funds it is obvious that students cannot be trusted with these large amounts of money. The mismanagement at Melbourne University confirms this."

I think he should check copy with Julian Barendse President of the Melbourne University Liberal Club as well as being.....wait for it...

"the current Vice-President of the Melbourne University Student Union"

oh dear...
Posted by Rainier, Monday, 20 June 2005 6:19:42 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a conservative or Liberal being the vice-president of a student union. They were, after all, elected!

I reiterate, being pro-VSU and a conservative is not neccessarily anti-student union, merely anti-'the way they are run at the moment'.

Take Adelaide Uni for example. The VP there was elected by the Board on a coin toss (vote was 10-10). In this position he is also the Finance Commitee Chair in-charge of the budgets for the 2006 -- he year of VSU. He is working his backside off making sure the union survives under VSU. Tis works in his favour. He can work hard to make it survive, but in the form he wants. Ie little to no money spent on political campaigns and the SRC and Union Board Electoral reforms.

Great bloke to boot. He's constantly in trouble, beginning with a pro-VSU article he wrote published in The Australian in December.
Posted by tooRight, Monday, 20 June 2005 8:30:39 PM
i heard across the grapevine that there was some liberal "branch stacking" of opinions an ideas. so here is my view. this is a article that was published in the UWS "the Onion" paper. for more VSU opinion peices and other stuff visit www.rcunderground.net. PLUG ASIDE, HERE IS THE ARTICLE:

The crime? The collection of universal student fees.
The punishment. The indirect and gradual destruction of our university.

As many students will know by now, the Howard government is imposing VSU onto all universities nation wide. Philosophically as students we all believe in our democratic rights of freedom of association. This is a philosophical stance that I doubt is not supported by any student. In the ideal world, the philosophical world this ideology is correct, true and valid.
unfortunately we DO NOT live in a ideal world. As many student studying related subjects have realized sometimes our philosophies have to be twisted, bent or adjusted to conform with reality. The Howard government has played with students philosophical positions when attempting to impose VSU. They have euphemistically called it Voluntary student unionism.

Howard has now placed students in a “check” position, Howard has placed us, the students in a catch 22.

Do we adhere to our “perfect world” philosophy, or do we mould it to fit the real world? Our options as students are either:

1) Adhere to our “perfect world” philosophy and await the expected slow death to our universities
Or
2) Change our “perfect world” stance to one that fits in to the real world and support our student unions, because anything other than full, 100% support to our student voice will lead to the inevitable destruction of our universities for future generations. As members of this society it is our duty to protect not only our educational future but the educational future of all Australians.

continued next post
Posted by WorldWide, Monday, 20 June 2005 10:35:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy