The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Honest debate exposes a mockery of Australia's border security > Comments

Honest debate exposes a mockery of Australia's border security : Comments

By Alan Anderson, published 9/6/2005

Alan Anderson argues the Georgiou plan to limit detention would allow failed asylum seekers to abscond.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Sympneolgy and Rainer,I'm talking about the pace of ethnic change.Don't try to corrupt my perceptions with your ego-centric idealistic perceptions of how Australia should be.
I ,like most Australians deal in realities,and we should always consider the values and aspirations of the predominant culture,since it was,and is the culture that gives us so much prosperity ,that so many travel half way around the world to find such prosperity.
I have many friends of different ethic origins and they have become part of the Australian character.It takes a couple of generations for this to happen.
If we swamp our country with too much change,anarchy will prevail and your children too, will lament such impulsive and stupid policies of the weak left.
Face it ,the world has too many people and not enough resources to raise their living standards to that of ours.
Are you willing to forgo all that you have, so others can take your job for cheaper wages?
I've been to many third world countries and don't want to see Australia become just another "Banana Republic in the South Pacific."
Posted by Arjay, Thursday, 30 June 2005 9:17:02 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm sure you're ethnic friends are just as bored as I am with listening to your broken record ideas.
Posted by Rainier, Thursday, 30 June 2005 9:44:31 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I wouldn't dream of corrupting your perceptions, Arjay, any more than Alan Anderson (remember him?) has already done. As for my perceptions, they cannot be both ego-centric AND idealistic. I deal in realities too, all the time, and I doubt whether the "values and aspirations of the predominant culture" will be adversely affected by allowing a few boat people to make their contribution to it.
During the nineteenth century our country was "swamped" with an enormous amount of change, but anarchy did not prevail (except, perhaps, from the point of view of those who thought this was THEIR country). Anyway, how can a few hundred people "swamp" a country this size?
As for others taking our jobs for cheaper wages, it is the leaders of our "predominant culture" that are off-shoreing the jobs of Australian workers to countries where wages are low and unions are powerless or non-existent. And now that he has control of the Senate, Howard plans to make Australian unions just as impotent, so we will all be working for cheaper wages. You can't blame the asylum seekers for that.
Posted by Sympneology, Friday, 1 July 2005 2:08:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The people who make the decisions to sack workers are the owners of big business and the politicians who serve their interests. Migrants (along with Aborigines and other minority groups) are useful scapegoats to divert attention away from the real culprits -- themselves. But try telling this to the paranoid delusionals, the dogwhistled zenophobics, the reds under our beds alarmists, who incidentally all believe in aliens (cos they've been abducted and had their genitals probed) and you'll find yourself dealing more with their fears than you will with their ignorance of the facts.
Big business and the politicians that serve them know all to well that its easier to manipulate with fear than it is with facts.
Poor Arjay is just one living example of the post Hanson era that are finding it hard to let go of a simplistic formulae for all political, historical and human analysis. And that is this - "when you don't know the facts, blame outsiders. If your peers don't believe you, blame them. Its a fool proof circular ad-hominem that makes the ignorant feel comfortable with knowing nothing at all
Posted by Rainier, Friday, 1 July 2005 9:02:45 AM
Just disprove my logic and that logic that most Australians exercised at the last election.Your rantings have amounted to nothing.
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 1 July 2005 10:43:46 PM
What logic? Your unsupported assertions only serve to show that you are totally devoid of any ability to think logically.

The Australian people voted Howard in again out of fear, not logic. They believed his mendacious claims about interest rates and forestry and the phony "war on terror" and were afraid. Hyping xenophobia to win elections does nothing for the average Australian voter but it allows the Howard government to get away with blatant abuses of the human rights of people who have already endured too much abuse. Your callous support for such policies displays your inhumanity, not logic.
Posted by Sympneology, Saturday, 2 July 2005 3:37:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy