The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What's going wrong for boys? > Comments

What's going wrong for boys? : Comments

By Peter West, published 10/5/2005

Peter West argues for positive programs to lift the educational performance of boys.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
Haven't you heard...

BOYS ARE STUPID... THROW ROCKS AT THEM.
Posted by trade215, Wednesday, 15 June 2005 5:32:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Perhaps someone could address the issue of teacher's wages?? Next year I will be taking a $5 000 a year pay-cut to leave my office job and teach. The level of responsibility, stress and hard work I will have next year far outweighs what I'm doing now. I'm choosing the pay-cut because I want to improve the lives of all children, regardless of ethnicity or gender. But how many men can, or would, make the same choice? If we want more male teachers, I suspect we'd have to raise teachers' salaries.

Teachers do a lot of Professional Development throughout the year, many are dedicated to improving and changing the way they teach and many are concerned about how to engage boys. Some of the people posting vitriole on this site about teachers should remember that there are good and bad examples in every aspect of life - yes there are bad teachers, but there are very good ones too. Yes there are some ridiculous teachers who worry more about enforcing uniform than what their kids are learning, but there are good teachers that open up kids' eyes to the world, too.

Perhaps if teachers were more highly respected and valued in this society, and adequately remunerated for the hours they work (far more than 9am to 3pm), males would be attracted to the role, and parents and communities would respect and support the schools & teachers they send their kids to, making it far more likely that kids themselves will have a better attitude to school.
Posted by Cara, Monday, 12 December 2005 1:24:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ok, y not ask us. I am a 16 year old guy, going through what people consider the boy crisis.

Over the last couple years I have seen less and less boys in my class [until now i have not complained], when i realised i made up 1 of the 8 guys in a 32 kid classroom i wondered how could this be. I asked around, it never hit me that it was because I was in advanced courses. Ever since then everyday I am seeing more favorism towards girls. Now I am not going to go on about boys should get more or w/e. But I am going to say this, I blame society as a whole not just school. Look around, i see on tv men getting sued by women for alleged crimes, i see girls being picked over boys cause appartently we have more opprotunities. So ask yourselves, why is it i see even in my friends house my friend being scolded more and harder then i have ever seen or heard his sister, and his sister is older and is frankly a bad apple, while my friend works all day at my oncles restaurant then comes home to work more.

And i c women conforted in more ways then men. Yes we are different, but i see girls in all boy teams but when i asked if i could join jess [another friend of mine] for theater arts i was told they where full [there was 5 open slots and my friends has asked ahead of time for me]. So is it a surprise that women now are doing better then us generally speaking across the board? we are giving girls all the opprotunities, men once had over them. But not welcoming men into a womans role, and while i help all my friends with schooling, i find i need to change the way i explain things dependant on wether it is a he or she, i see none of this in the classroom.
Posted by Alexandre, Wednesday, 2 August 2006 12:50:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy