The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Ease their pain: don't help them die > Comments

Ease their pain: don't help them die : Comments

By Katrina George, published 5/5/2005

Katrina George argues against voluntary euthanasia and self sacrifice by women.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Thanks for enlightening me Lucy, I always thought suicide WAS against the law (but they could only charge you for attempted if you didn't commit it, hey). I haven't read his book, but your synopsis makes sense and yes, I agree, knowledge is power. We can all kill ourselves if we have the motive and it doesn't take much knowledge to figure out how to do it.

I really do think it is a human experience that should be explored and debated as it is such an individual thing. Just ask anyone in your workplace about their preferred way of exit and you won't find anyone saying "Gee I'd really like to spend my last days/weeks in agony wishing someone would pull the plug but I'm too far gone to ask".

Thanks for the post
Posted by Di, Friday, 13 May 2005 11:25:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is an excellent article. George should be congratulated rather than subjected to irrational abuse.

George correctly points out that euthanasia decisions are based on more than a mere calculation of pain and that other considerations come into play. That is, considerations not always in the patient's best interests. Some of these are overt. Others, including the feminine ethic of self-sacrifice, are more subtle.

There is academic research to back up George's argument. Her points should be of grave concern. They are good reason for not legalising euthanasia - especially when pallative care standards are good.
Posted by rmbp, Wednesday, 18 May 2005 5:29:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy