The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Republicanism and the royal wedding > Comments

Republicanism and the royal wedding : Comments

By David Flint, published 8/4/2005

David Flint argues denigrating Prince Charles and Camilla and the royal wedding will not help the republican movement.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Poor old David, always a dollar short and a day late, as the saying goes.

The reason we have not yet taken the steps necessary to become a republic is simply that no-one has articulated a model that (a) contains sufficient checks and balances over the antics of both the government and the president and (b) doesn't result in the election to president of a soapie star. Otherwise there appears to be general agreement that it is about time we grew up and stood on our own two feet, metaphorically speaking.

Where did I learn all this? Why, in the April edition of that pinko-left organ, Quadrant, of course. It makes the obvious and sensible point that the future of our ties with the UK does not rest, as the tabloids would have us believe, with our attitude towards Charles' private life, but in that country's relationship with Europe. Should the UK adopt the European Constitution, it would bring into being a level of supranational control by a body in whose composition and objectives we would have absolutely no say. That is a situation that would turn the hair of even the most ardent monarchist white. Or even whiter, as the case may be.

Let me quote from the Quadrant editorial, just in case you think I'm making this up. "[T]here is no doubt that despite the result of the referendum the majority of the Australian electorate has shown itself clearly in favour of some kind of republic", and "[w]e ought to take up, without haste and rancour (and preferable without the help of the Australian Republican Movement) discussion about the possible constitution of an Australian republic."

The world continues to move on, while the fragrant professor continues to stay exactly where he was.
Posted by Pericles, Friday, 8 April 2005 4:26:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David Flint

Denigrating Chuck & Cam is just a bit of fun. Won't have any effect on republican movement - in fact it may just get the agenda rolling again. The thought of Chuck on the throne.....eeeuuuw.

I mean recent events, Di's death, Chuck's lifelong adultry not to mention ole Prince Phillip (his insensitive self), have, if anything proven just wot an anachronism the institution of royalty really is.

The previous posters have pretty well summed up my views. So, Dave, go tend your petunias or something if this article is the best you can do.
Posted by Xena, Saturday, 9 April 2005 12:10:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The argument that a monarchy prevents instability and is above politics is also absurd. France, Austria, Germany and the USA cope perfectly well without a monarchy. On the flipside, Italy's monarchy in the 1920s and 1930s didn't stop the country sliding into fascism and Russia's disasterous monarchy partly contributed to the rise and success of the communist regime from 1917 to 1991.

And the number of monarchs who have blatantly favoured the most reactionary political elements in their respective countries is too many to count on two hands. Here are a few examples: Edward VIII of Great Britain, Carol II of Romania, Victor Emmanuel III of Italy and Nicholas II of Russia.

Monarchs are not above politics. They ARE politicians and unaccountable ones at that.
Posted by DavidJS, Saturday, 9 April 2005 12:28:25 PM
The Australian republicanism has not come to an end David, the public is just sick of telling the pollies what they want....only to never get it.... and this is just another example. It is easy to see your position (as a monarchist) Mr Flint, however, I think you would be surprised at just how many people would rather be a republic than not. You claim that the republicans lost their cause because they used "negative arguments"?. Oh David, the only thing sadder to me than that comment is the one where people like you keep referring to Charles and Camilla as our future King and Queen. I will NEVER pledge my allegiance to either one of them. Did you know that a synonym of allegiance is fidelity? I'm sure you did David...but does Charles?
Posted by wiccan, Sunday, 10 April 2005 5:01:50 AM
If I still lived in UK I might well be a fervent republican.

I live in Australia and having a head of state which we don't have to pay the election costs for sounds good to me.

I think DavidJS is correct - "who gives a toss"...

Maybe I could go the distance and have a Monarchists celebratory BBQ - just as I could have a papal BBQ wake -

Combine the two events, go upmarket and hire a lap dancing girl - that should suit everyone, Charles certainly, Camilla probably and if he does not complain, PJII possibly.

But watch out - too much grog and we cremate the snags .... mmmmm

Better stop before my bad taste gets the better of me and I invite Gough Whitlam to do the speeches........
Posted by Col Rouge, Sunday, 10 April 2005 12:24:41 PM
Sometimes I get the feeling certain publicists need to take a good long holiday and make room for newer, better researched and better reasoned writers. David Flint has had a good run. It's a long time since he wrote anything fresh and original.
Posted by FrankG, Monday, 11 April 2005 12:25:30 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy