The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > 'Queen' Camilla of Australia - no thanks! > Comments

'Queen' Camilla of Australia - no thanks! : Comments

By Peter van Vliet, published 29/3/2005

Peter van Vliet argues King Charles and Queen Camilla should never rule in Australia.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Except that if Australia had an elected president, the position would almost cetainly end up being filled by (a) a career politician, (b) someone very rich, or (c) both. Exactly how is that an improvement?

Cutting our ties with the monarchy is not a blow against privilege: it is simply favouring one kind of privilege over another.
Posted by Ian, Monday, 25 April 2005 3:34:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is an improvement because "rich" is not always synonymous to "stupid" at the time when no professionalism is counted even for the bulk of the Australian professors at so-called local “universities”.

I am not talking of ill-literal but knowing-how-to-smile-for-occasions charleses, williamses and other harris
Posted by MichaelK., Tuesday, 26 April 2005 2:32:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ive only read a few of the comments on this subject but once again Ive come across the argument that we need an Australian Head of State so there for we cant have the Queen/King etc etc but must have a President. This is just racist, anti british rubbish. Last I checked this was ment to be a nation that anyone can come to and become an Australian and be Prime Minister if they want to. Her Majesty may not of been born here but as far as Im concerned she is Australian. That goes for the Prince of Wales as well. AS far as I know they both have Australian citizenship (could be wrong). If thats the case they sound pretty Australian to me. Almost all the republicans Ive ever met cant give any depth to there argument other than xenophobic prattle. Of the six oldest continuess democracies in the world 5 are constitutional monarchies (4 of which have Queen Elizabeth the 2nd as Head of state). The Only republic amongst them is the good ol USA. Funnyly enough a large chunk of the Republican movement is closest anti american as well(yes I know a broad sweeping statement but prove me wrong). Anyway, from someone born in Darwin, raised in queensland, never left the country except for 3weeks in NZ, God save the Queen.
Posted by tnerb, Monday, 21 November 2005 3:03:31 AM
“Last I checked this was ment to be a nation that anyone can come to and become an Australian and be Prime Minister if they want to.”

And what about MULTICULTURAL approach, which is a practice of de-facto REQUIRING the APPROPRIATE “acceptance on a personal level” that is Australian xenophobia and racism in practice. Or millions of under-caste, again de-facto, inferior non-Celtic-Anglo inhabitants have once again de-facto not been counted while promoting quoted above nonsense?

“ Her Majesty may not of been born here but as far as Im concerned she is Australian. That goes for the Prince of Wales as well. AS far as I know they both have Australian citizenship (could be wrong). If thats the case they sound pretty Australian to me.”

In “democracies”, worshipping the different objects is a very personal matter.
At a state level, it is strange to hear of an Australian head of state, being obliged by an overseas law of a different country to ask permission of a foreign third-party parliament to help own subject who is happened to be a citizen of Australia.

Surely, the Windsors are as much Australian as the Big Ben is.

“Almost all the republicans Ive ever met cant give any depth to there argument other than xenophobic prattle. Of the six oldest continuess democracies in the world 5 are constitutional monarchies (4 of which have Queen Elizabeth the 2nd as Head of state). The Only republic amongst them is the good ol USA.”

So, France (independently with much blood)and the USA (by forcing English lords out, while American colonists-republicans were in millions murdered by "loyal royal democrats") are self-made oldest democracies, and Australia, NZ and Canada have heads somewhere. Pretty faire!

Since when did even more explicitly racist then-Rhodesia, SAR and dozens of still British-occupied territories round a globe become less democratic for a monarchist-propagandist ?

Maybe, the International Tribunal in the Hauge is an appropriate place to answer. However, it was established and run by not old, if any as understood from therb 's message, democracies at all.
Posted by MichaelK., Monday, 21 November 2005 10:40:10 AM
Plain and simply,no kings no queens,no princes,no princesses.no sirs no lords,no monarchy,the world can manage and be a better place, less tax to keep these parasites in their easy living standards,the story told to past generations,that it was so ordained,that we have to have rulers,and then too there is no such thing as royal blood,another myth we were told by religeon,and we in Australia are still tied to the apron strings of a foreign woman monarch,break away and get into the real world,a world free of,these unwanted system of having kings or monarchs,and now we have to hear all their stories,of love,lust,divorces,first living in sin,then again being pardoned by the church,and now we are being told about this girl from Tasmania,that married a prince and now has a baby,who cares,babies are born everday,so why make a big deal about this baby,so to all australian monarchists you can have them,but most australians want to get rid of these PARASITES.
Posted by KAROOSON, Tuesday, 13 December 2005 1:53:36 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy