The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Troops to Iraq - Apathy and complacency in today's neo-liberal Australia > Comments

Troops to Iraq - Apathy and complacency in today's neo-liberal Australia : Comments

By Will Hardiker, published 17/3/2005

Will Hardiker argues that the danger to Australian troops in Iraq will come from depleted uranium and not bullets.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
"a further 450 Australian troops to Iraq. As usual, not so much as a murmur of objection or public dissent has been heard, so entrenched is the apathy and complacency that characterises present-day neo-liberal Australia."

Actually Will, only speaking for myself ofcourse, the reason I haven't murmured any objection or dissent is that I think the move is in the best interest of the Iraqi people. If on the other hand, the government had opted to withdraw its troops, you would hear me murmuring and dissenting.

This doesn't mean you can generalise me as a 'howard supporter' - I voted Green (and handed out leaflets for them) at all elections since 98 when I became old enough to vote and 2 party preferred, I've swung but put labor ahead at the last election. I was against the war until it started. Now I'm against letting the situation turn to anarchy.
Posted by Kalpa, Thursday, 17 March 2005 3:43:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kalpa - I understand what you are saying. While vehemently against the invasion of Iraq and the deception used to justify this war. I want this situation resolved sooner rather than later. However I wonder if additional troops are the answer. What difference can another 450 people really make. Surely this is time to invite the UN back? I understand that 17 of the initial 39 countries who agreed to be a part of the "coalition of the willing" have since pulled out. The situation appears to be deteriorating into anarchy regardless.
Posted by Ringtail, Thursday, 17 March 2005 4:47:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The points made in this article disgust me. That America, which has the largest arsenal of WMDs on the planet, has to use weapons containing depleted unanium on the Iraqi people while simultaneously claiming to be bringing them freedom and democracy, is a monstrous act of bastardry.

Why is it that there are so few protests? Because the American propaganda machine is very clever, very calculating. They manipulate the media at will, tell whatever lies are necessary (like our own Government), even use Hollywood. The gullible, and those who have chosen to pursue the greedy American dream, are easily taken in by it.

And of course, America refused to be part of the International Criminal Court knowing they would be hauled before it for their war crimes.

As Iraq inevitably descends into chaos and anarchy we should look very carefully at what America is doing rather than what they are saying. We should also be very sceptical of the preachings of Downer and Howard, both Bush apologists.

Europeans voted America as the nation which most threatens world peace. Did you ever wonder why?
Posted by Sinni Kal, Tuesday, 22 March 2005 3:13:21 PM
Only recently was I made aware of the use of depleted uranium.This is really unforgivable.The US will only generate more feelings of ill will and so it will entrench them further into an unwinnable war like Vietnam.The history of their foreign policy in the Middle East has been one of confusion and hypocracy.They have backed ruthless dictators like Saddham and turned on him when he became uncontrollable.
There is however, no turning back.Peace must come to Iraq and the rest of the Middle East.World peace relies on a secure and affordable energy supply.If another world war ensues,we will all have serious problems with radiation.
I think the US needs to be more ethical and honest about their mistakes and perhaps other countries will be more willing to lend a hand.The Bush administration may be decisive in action but very stupid and impractical in terms of application and anticipating the consequences of adhoc short term military action.They thought that "Shock and Awe"would win the day and all Iraqi's would be dancing in the streets for the great liberators.
Instead of just bagging the US totally,we should be pointing out the error of their ways and pointing them in the right direction.We can't do it without them.
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 28 March 2005 4:49:03 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy