The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Is this religious persecution? > Comments

Is this religious persecution? : Comments

By David Palmer and Allan Harman, published 21/1/2005

David Palmer and Allan Harman argue that Justice Higgins' ruling on religious villification is tantamount to religious persecution

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
Is this religious persecution? Hell no!

Quote:
Justice Higgins declared, "Pastor Scot (the seminar leader), throughout the seminar, made fun of Muslim beliefs and conduct. It was done, not in the context of a serious discussion of Muslims' religious beliefs; it was presented in a way which is essentially hostile, demeaning and derogatory of all Muslim people, their God, Allah, the prophet Mohammed and in general religious beliefs and practices."

It's persecution of hate speech. Hate speech has only one purpose, to attack the freedom of others. If you doubt this you are bloody mad and irresponsible. Two words: Adolf Hitler.

If Pastor Scot were defaming Judaism and Jews, none of you bigots would be complaining about imaginary religious persecution in his decision.

You bigots can all get stuffed as far as I'm concerned. I'll defend the right of Jews, Muslims, Christians and others not be vilified, vilification which leads to attacks on their freedom, for as long as I shall live.
Posted by paulx82, Monday, 24 January 2005 2:28:56 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kenny,
Given you're one of the guilty party in showing disrect for religious views, you should be the last to give lessons in tolerance. Let me quote you from the "The religious Right cannot hijack values" forum - "Lastly Mikey if you’re a Christian have a read of your bible, That Jesus fellow you guys are always on about lived in a commune when he was young he turned out all right didn't he."

Kenny, in the words of Justice Higgins, your comment "was presented in a way which is essentially hostile, demeaning and derogatory of all Christian people, their God, and in general religious beliefs and practices."

You lefties and Paulx82 are the biggest bigots around. It's just that you guys are so quick to see it in others, you fail to see the hatred for other views you carry in yourselves.
Posted by Mike, Monday, 24 January 2005 2:48:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What makes you think I’m a lefty?
What I said was not derogatory it was factual, If I had of said all Christians are communist because Jesus lived in one as a boy. As for your last line I think your confused we are not the ones who want the right to abuse people.
Posted by Kenny, Monday, 24 January 2005 3:14:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Goodness - how long have we humans been on this earth? And nothing has changed. This debate seems to be typical for many people debating on the net with strongly held views, often religious ..... read into the article whatever fits into your belief system and world view, pick over the bones of everyone else's post, quote isolated sections of religious texts to 'prove one's point' and comment on subjects, be they religions or judicial rulings, where there is lack of full knowledge and understanding, (e.g. how many of you have read the full text of the ruling?). Tbe word 'soapbox' springs to mind but that's far too benign an expression. Attitudes like many expressed here, whipped up by people with hidden, or even overt, agendas are what leads to persecution and war. Debate is fine but I would like to see everyone who gets involved in discussions like these to at least attempt an understanding of the 'others' point of view, and state it in their post. I would be a lot more optimistic about the state/future of mankind if they did!

Regards

Jo
Posted by JoJo, Monday, 24 January 2005 3:20:12 PM
JoJo, are you sure you don't have any 'hidden, or even overt, agenda's' in your response? These types of debates are normal for humanity, even outside the net. Political leaders, the media, many muslims and the pastors at Catch the Fire Ministries all debate in a similar manner. That's free speech.

Brack's, and the politicians who passed this legislation only look like hypocritical idiots in restricting it only to religious groups. Politicians are amongst the worst at vilifying and misrepresenting opponents. Bracks and his mates couldn't abide by this anti-vilification Act if it applied to politics so why does he target religions? Seems like religious persecution to me.
Posted by Hazza, Monday, 24 January 2005 10:31:09 PM
Congratulations Kenny, finally getting the point of the argument.

Is there a difference between derogatory and factuality? - As you I agree that there is.

Pastor Scott’s actions have been deemed derogatory - and his actions were? He quoted the Koran, statics of population growth and spoke frankly about terrorism within Islam.

Are these not facts?
Posted by Taylor, Tuesday, 25 January 2005 9:49:40 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All