The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The accuracy of the war in Iraq's news coverage leaves a lot to be desired > Comments

The accuracy of the war in Iraq's news coverage leaves a lot to be desired : Comments

By Stephen Barton, published 16/4/2003

Stephen Barton shows how reporting of the war in Iraq has created a false picture of what's going on

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Stephen,
It is always fascinating to read the arguments of the Hawks after the event to see how those arguments used by them and adopted by the corporate media to support the invasion of Iraq have stood up to time. Surely you are not asserting that the media was anything but gun-ho compliant in these sad events, a few gallant exceptions aside. In particular I note your comment

"Australian human shield Donna Mulhearn didn't really need to turn up, she must have got pretty bored guarding that grain silo. Still, it's an easy job to be a human shield when the good guys are doing the shooting."

Have to say history has not been kind to you I am afraid. 100,000+ dead and the country a tragic bloody mess, as predicted by the "Doves". The invasion forces and their support don't want to venture outside the "Green Zone" let alone defend infrastructure so Donna's looking as good as any on that front.

I don't mean to land 100,000+ at your feet but you trashed the courage of Donna and belittled her attempts to prevent the terrible events in Iraq. The world needs more like Donna and your attacks on her must surely now make you feel uncomfortable with your role in this terrible event.

We need more like Donna, while angry men beating the war drums are a dime a dozen throughout history.

When will we ever learn?

Bob
Posted by Bob B, Wednesday, 4 May 2005 9:47:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As distasteful as such a debate is, the 100,000 figure you cite was based on a survey of 788 households in Iraq.
The UN and the Iraq Ministry of Planning have recently published their own survey based on 22,000 households. They have estimated casualties at close to 24,000- both civlian and military.

The media, that you somehow think was so pro-war, has barely reported the UN survey, while the flawed Lancet study received widespread coverage.
I stand by comments on the media's reporting of the invasion, and you can put whatever you like at my feet. I supported the war then and I continue to do so.
As to Donna Mulhearn, courage would be acting as a human shield on an Iraq Police station. As I said, anyone can be a human shield when the good guys are doing the shooting.
Posted by Stephen, Monday, 30 May 2005 5:16:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
only 25000 dead then mate! strewth that's good news cobler!!
you refer to col h jones in your article. did you know that the word going around sandhurst, the uk military academy, (relayed to me by a colonel and 2 majors who were lecturers there) was that 'h' was despised by his troops. they were sure he would risk their lives to bolster his own image. the rumour was that he was taken down by his own troops before he got them killed. now you try disproving that cobler!
Posted by maltesenosher, Saturday, 16 July 2005 4:50:17 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy