The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why Muslims should reject Western values > Comments

Why Muslims should reject Western values : Comments

By Amir Butler, published 2/12/2004

Amir Butler argues that Christian values are not necessarily Muslim values

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Amir, may I point out you have fallen into the trap many muslims do, You need to look at history prior to Islam and Muhammad.

Algebra is indeed an Arabic word, But in no way did islam or Arabs invent Algebra, it was in use for over two thousand years prior to Islam. May I sugget you do a bit more research, this is one of the major problems in the Islamic world, you take credit for your past, when it is not really your past. How do you build on something that was never yours or if you did aquire it, was stolen from other societies.

Amir may I suggest you do some research into societies that oppress women, not a single one has succedded, that is why your societies are so far behind. May I suggest you watch Theo Van Goghs film "SUBMISSION" at this link, you will see why your society is so backwards, you cant treat women like this and thrive, it is impossible. To View the Film Theo Died for goto ifilm.com.
Posted by MoShmoe, Friday, 3 December 2004 2:51:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Amir, please do not identify contemporary "Western" values with Christian values. Otherwise I agree with most of what you say. You might like to have a look at my "Offence is no criticism" (reaction to van Gogh) to be found on my homepage
http://www.gvirsik.privat.t-online.de/
by clicking on "Recent uploads in English". I hope it will appear online here next week.
Posted by George, Tuesday, 7 December 2004 12:59:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
God must be stupid.We have all these different religions sucking up to him/her and prolaiming their's is the only way to this singularity of supreme consiousness.Perhaps we have to grow up and face the prospect of our own mortality.Life can be fulfilling in itself.The spiritually should be in our striving to become better people.
By Sonjhos
Posted by Arjay, Saturday, 11 December 2004 8:29:59 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Amir, you say that Islamic cultures did just fine in history. But that was a place and time when they didn't have to live with Buddhists, Christians, Jews, Catholics, Hindus, atheists, et al, in a nation which strongly divides church and state. It'a also a world where technology changes the way everybody lives.

You rebuke those who say that Muslims should revisit interpretations of society in these different circumstances. That's fine. But you offer absolutely no notions of your own except restoring religion as a 'guide of state and citizen'. But then you scorn people offering 'a simplistic answer to a very complex problem'?

Do you realise how foolish it is to talk about returning to an Islamic state to a place which must accomodate (get a pen) aboriginals with their own spirituality, atheists, Christians, Roman Catholics, Buddhists, Hindus, etc?

Also, your grab bag of inventions attributable to an Islamic theocracy is bizarre to say the least. I mean, China developed countless things before the West and Islam nations too, following your argument they were fools to ditch feudalism and should get right back there.
Posted by jpanic, Wednesday, 15 December 2004 1:02:40 AM
Agree with all the above comments. I love the way medieval Islam is portrayed as some sort of paradise, and a society to be aspired to. Medieval Islamic society was like all other medival societies - brutal, bloody, cruel, viscious.

What, exactly, is it about 'Western values' you dislike so much? Equality for women? Dislike of Homophobia? Free Speech?

Sorry, of course, theocracies like Iran and Tale-ban era Afghanistan are so wonderful, the world should try to be more like them.

Your welcome to them.
Posted by gw, Wednesday, 15 December 2004 2:10:02 PM
Amir, [1] When are Australian Muslims going to come out and condemn Al-Qaeda and Osama bin-laden BY NAME for the horrifying atrocities they have forced on the world? [2] Do these butchers represent Islam and can they claim to be carrying out the will of Allah? [3] Do certain passages in the Koran give them the authority to murder in cold blood? [4] Are we "infidels" in the eyes of Muslims, and therefore targets for anyone who becomes consumed by hatred? [5] The Islamic Council has sat on the fence for three years, and it's about time it chose either support for Osama bin-laden or loyalty to Australia. The answers to these questions are long overdue. Until they are answered, your credibility as a apokesman is "nil".
Posted by Big Al 30, Saturday, 18 December 2004 11:33:43 AM
Your're right on the money there Big Al 30.The problem is that many moderate Muslims are very much intimidated by the radicals.The Muslim Marfia will not only kill infidels,but any moderates who happen to disagree with their actions.They rule by fear and intimidation just like the Nazis and the KGB.Their whole play is about power and religion is their tool of surpression.

I've noted that people like Kaiser Trad operate almost constantly in double speak."We didn't mean that." or "That was taken out of context."It is an insidious approach of verbal cloak and dagger that relies on us not taking them to task for fear of being racist or religionist.
Posted by Arjay, Saturday, 18 December 2004 8:24:56 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good point arjay. If we can't get on top of this situation, we are in for a very dodgy time. I hope ASIO, the Federal Police and other Security Agencies are up to the task.
Posted by Big Al 30, Tuesday, 21 December 2004 1:56:18 PM
Just another point for Amir to address.When I was in Egypt many years ago homosexuality was rampant among males because many couldn't afford a wife.Only the wealthy could afford the luxury of poligamy.To frown upon homosexuality and have a system that promotes it, to say the least, is hyprocracy.
Posted by Arjay, Tuesday, 21 December 2004 5:16:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy