The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Addicted to racism > Comments

Addicted to racism : Comments

By Stephen Hagan, published 25/11/2004

Stephen Hagan looks at the history of racism and how it applies to Australia.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
To Stephen Hagan: I a white (as far as I know) Australian I agree with your views completely and totally. I at times am utterly ashamed at the anti Aboriginal views of many of my fellow Australians and I include that incredibly mean spirited and extremely divisive shallow 'man??'who is our seemingly racist prime minister. We invaded the Aboriginal land murdering the inhabitants, men-women and children. We killed by guns, poisoned flour and enslavement. Now many say that the Aboriginal people do not deserve what little they get. Regards, numbat
Posted by numbat, Thursday, 25 November 2004 3:15:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To Stephen Hagan and numbat: As an Australian citizen, I am convinced that any inclusive, rational racism debate should exclude the infantile and in most cases inflammatory, "because of what happened to someone in the past, everyone must now listen to my interpretation of events and compensate me financially".
Surely, any debates that include 'wronged' and 'wrong-doers' should be based on Australian Law at the time and there is no 'right time' for all Australian citizens to discuss justice and the justice system. Australian Law review should be a dynamic process. If all unlawful acts are not researched and analysed, it is the Law that should be under review and not the long-dead citizens who are identified in the 'stories' but who are unable to speak for themselves. Let racist debate be based on Australian Law and not raw, opportunistic emotion and compensation be identified as Lawful Compensation. Perhaps the racism and welfare industries have something to fear...maybe the fear of bankruptcy-both financial and/or moral...from Australian Law. If not, what is preventing the inclusion of 'fact', 'truth', 'responsibility' and 'self-help' in all so-called racism debates?
Regards

Posted by wah, Monday, 29 November 2004 11:20:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As a non-indigenous Australian I think that it is time for us to acknowledge the atrocities of the past, the pain that resulted from white colonization and the pain that remains for indigenous individuals, families and communities today. Just because Australian Law allowed these events to take place at the time does not make it right, then or now. Racist debate is based on raw emotion because it effects people at such a personal level and can (and has in the case of indigenous Australians) impact on every part of a person's life.
Posted by barney, Tuesday, 30 November 2004 9:07:14 PM
It is interesting to see the effects that racism steeped in prejudice has on a society. My grandfather was in the war as an Aboriginal person however, his bravery and commitment to this country - 'nationalism' was negated upon his release from the Burma railway. Our society has constantly shown fear of 'others' since colonisation and the law has been a willing bed partner. Stereotypes and prejudice is kept alive in the fabric of society because we are unable to accept difference and prefer to see the negative of the difference. The law has built into itself self preservation mechanism that perpetuates and enhances many of the differences and those that intepret the law embrace racism as the mechanism to continually stamp their superiority in a world that does not tolerate difference. Look closely at what has transpired with the whisperings of 'terrorism' and the movement of our law to enscapulate the fear indoctrined in law. Freedom is a word and our judicial system is forever retaining the shackles of colonialism and reducing our democratic rights to be different. Our fear is what will keep unity in diversity from being acceptance - it appears our motto is tolerance and I do not tolerate discrimination and propaganda that dictates mob behaviour that brings harm.
bindi2
Posted by BINDI2, Monday, 25 September 2006 12:19:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy