The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > When drugs mask our society's failings > Comments

When drugs mask our society's failings : Comments

By Tanveer Ahmed, published 24/9/2004

Tanveer Ahmed argues that ADHD is a sign of social degredation.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
My child is being trialed on dexampetamine, he has started today, he is a very bright boy but is all what they say as ADHD, i have put this as my last resort, we have had pshycologist assessments done school assessments done. He has been with CAMS which didnt do a great lot except go over the last visits feedback all the time, no actual time was spent with him to help, we have been to a ireadologist (Not sure how thats spelt). Also i tried him with efalex tablets, fish oil tablets, evening primrose oil. I have also cut out all foods that were said to be set off foods and that had made no difference. My only concern with these tablets are there is no info on the long term side effects to these tablets, but i am willing to give them a try.
Only because he is so bright but being like this isnt helping him at school, it is more than anything holding him back. So this medication to me is no babysitter, it a chance for him to get somewhere in life.
Posted by morts, Wednesday, 4 May 2005 1:20:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is refreshing (in an unfortunate way) to know that we are not alone in this fast paced world. Our "babies" are required to sit for periods of time when until school, they were allowed to play freely. I also have a child that has been excelling with school work, completing it faster than the other children and then gets into a lot of trouble for not being able to focus on other tasks waiting for the rest of the class. He has been diagnosed with ADHD. I feel the school system has too many children in their classrooms. The school wants you to solve your childs problems but won't ask - or care - what your input is when placing your child in a classroom. This was my experience at the beginning of the school year. As a last resort, he has been placed on dexamphetamine. We'll see what happens.
Posted by Ali, Monday, 13 June 2005 5:31:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My child is very bright and has been always seen as very intelligent from teachers and other parents, when we reached school the reaction was that they could not be flexible in providing appropriate learning materials to his higher needs than his peers, especially because he was outspoken and honest about the attitude of his teacher and his treatment in class, he has now become bored and disenchanted with the school system which refuses to recognise his gifts and focus solely on his refusal to participate in an environment which opposes his learning needs. I see a brilliant mind, a future creator in our society, my only option after all of the alternative therapies including herbal and tactile is to offer him the option of a medication that can help him meet the school standards and hopefully reawaken his interest in learning at school.
Posted by Cherie, Thursday, 20 October 2005 1:26:36 PM
WE HAVE A 7 YEAR OLD BOY WHO HAS AQUIRED BRAIN INJURY AND SEVERE ADHD,WE HAVE TRIED DEXAMPHEDAMINE,STRETERIA,CONSHERTA AND OTHER MEDICATION AS HE HAS A HEART CONDITION MEDICATIONS ARE LIMITED BUT ALL NAMED HAVE NOT WORKED FOR HIM(NO EFFECT AT ALL)HE IS ON A LARGE AMOUNT OF RITALIN 10MG 6 TIMES PER DAY WITHOUT THIS HE WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO ATTEND SCHOOL AS THEY JUST CANT DEAL WITH HIM,SLEEPING IS A HUGE PROBLEM BUT HE CANT HAS CATAPRESE DUE TO HIS HEART CONDITION,THE DOCTOR HAS NOW RECOMMENDED TEGRETOL 1X200MG THEN UPTO 2X200MG PER DAY,IF ANYONE CAN HELP GIVING US FUTHER INFORMATION ON THIS WE WOULD REALLY APPRICIATE IT AS WE ARE AT BREAKING POINT SADLY.THANKYOU KIND REGARDS
Posted by FAMILYINCRISIS, Wednesday, 10 May 2006 6:58:15 PM
Social degragation? these poor people are not able to control themselves and will struggle with relationships of any kind for the rest of there lives. So to say something like that is simply ignorant.
Posted by jkid, Thursday, 11 May 2006 7:42:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy