The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Political parties ignore Generation Y at their own peril > Comments

Political parties ignore Generation Y at their own peril : Comments

By Rebecca Huntley, published 18/8/2005

Rebecca Huntley argues Generation Y voters are waiting to be engaged by a political force prepared to speak their language.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Tune out - I thought that was the 1960's!

Every generation gets older, buys houes and has kids!

Generation Y probably think as most of community do that:

1. violence and crime in society is a big issue

2. if they come from regional communities that they will need to travel to the City to get work

3. that jobs are as important as trees

4. that interest rates are importabnt as they are wanting to get on the property ladder

5. that many want to travel if they don't want 4.

etc, etc. Not much has changed - Hawke excited young people once - yet those young in the 1980's may / often vote Howard now.

I think people have a tendancy to equate young with progressive - which is a false assumption based on the 1960's flower generation which culturally was significant but didn't reach a majority of support.
Posted by Corin McCarthy, Tuesday, 23 August 2005 10:48:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Let's face it, only 10 per cent of people are thinking voters who research candidates and their thoughts on issues (or their public record), the other great unwashed just vote for tweedle-dee or tweedle-dumer or as most of the youngin's - trying to be relevant & 'aware' - vote for a party based on a colour! About 6% don't bother to do more than have their name marked off...
Posted by Reality Check, Wednesday, 24 August 2005 1:18:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Who are these people who decide the sociological determinants of whole generations that cross cultural and national divides? I was born in the 60s as was most of my friends and find little in common with what is predominantly market driven research and my own life. I work in office of sociologists, while I am trained in hermenuetics, and very few of my workmates would draw so much meaning out of what often seems to be non-existent statistics and mythical theories.
Posted by Antigone, Saturday, 10 September 2005 3:38:51 PM
Speaking as someone who has recently enrolled to vote I can say this:

I have been waiting for many years to be able to cast my vote to help determine the fate of this country, however I also seriously doubt I will make any difference at all.

Yes, call me an idealistic youngster but I truly believe many voters are sellouts; voting based on scare-campaigns targeted at the middle aged family person, or in response to slur-campaigns. I despise that religion plays a part in politics, and I believe that I am not likely to be alone in this as surveys have demonstrated that Yer's are not particularly religious.

My greatest wish is for a party who even gives me the smallest glimpse at a positive future. Because all I can see now is a choice between people who cause us to live in fear while they undermine the social fabric (VSU, Workplace Reform, Telstra sell offs, wars) or a party which seems to be playing some complicated game of "Who's the leader?" while they run around in circles.

Perhaps Generation Y is very cynical, I know I am, but then in today's world you have to be, because if you took everything at face value then you'd be an absolute sucker.
Posted by Innle, Monday, 2 October 2006 11:07:20 PM
Generation Y does what they want and thinks with freedom. It's not that they don't care about what is going on in the political arena it's they are shut out. In almost all other facets of Generation Y's lives freedom, choice and following your dreams is very much a part of decision making. Political parties make Gen Y's feel powerless - when really they have more power than they could imagine. Perhaps there is a reason as to why political parties are ignoring Generation Y ? I think though more than ever embracing the freedom loving spirit of Gen Y across the board is the way forward. Recently an employment site called PloyMe.com.au has launched - their whole focus: giving the power back Gen Y workers!
Posted by Ches, Monday, 23 July 2007 3:02:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy