The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Donald Trump and Peter Dutton have both embraced populism. Are working-class voters buying it? > Comments

Donald Trump and Peter Dutton have both embraced populism. Are working-class voters buying it? : Comments

By David Smith, published 22/10/2024

There is evidence of this populism in the willingness of Trump, Dutton and other figures in their parties to attack 'big business'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
“Populism” is just a sneery word made up and used by people who think that they are “elites” to denote anything they don't agree with.

This bloke gives himself away by asking if the “working class” buys “populism”.

I don't believe in “classes” like this academic snob does; but I do prefer the popular to the unpopular; and I think that the academic “class” is broadly shite.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 22 October 2024 8:33:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Re the orange haired monstrosity's fake populism why not read the essay by Anne Applebaum featured in The Atlantic titled Trump Is Speaking Like Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini - The former President has brought dehumanizing language into American politics for the first time.
Posted by Daffy Duck, Tuesday, 22 October 2024 9:57:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
That's what I thought ttbn. No such thing as elites in a democracy though. Albo wants to deal with populism by curtailing voices from the peanut gallery with his misinformation bill. It could get horrible, but not like the Stasi.
Posted by Fester, Tuesday, 22 October 2024 10:23:51 AM
No such thing as elites in a democracy though.
Fester,
Which Planet has that ? I'll ask Space X if they can drop me off there. Imagine no Academics to tolerate !
Posted by Indyvidual, Tuesday, 22 October 2024 10:42:23 AM
Fester

Like so many words, 'elite' is misused; it certainly doesn't apply to academics and others, who have no more wealth and influence than the rest of us; although they seem to be the one's who think that they have the right to look down on other people, and wage class warfare.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 22 October 2024 11:05:52 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy