The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Welcome to tariff land: the retreat of free trade > Comments

Welcome to tariff land: the retreat of free trade : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 21/10/2024

Free markets? Free trade? The modern economic world has little time for these erroneous, misdirected terms.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
My guess is that the lobsters are going to China as a reward for Australia not penalising cheap EV imports. I don't have actual figures but it could mean EV buyers in the EU and US are paying $10k too much for an equivalent quality EV.

The other major looming development is the EU's carbon tariff or CBAM starting 2026. My guess it will have so many loopholes you could drive a coal train through it. For the sake of cheapness importers will probably look the other way. For example Chinese solar panels are made with coal power and forced labour which doesn't seem to stop us from feeling warm and green.
Posted by Taswegian, Monday, 21 October 2024 8:16:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The U.S. and the EU are circling the drain.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Monday, 21 October 2024 8:39:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy