The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Critical limitations of the main sources of electricity generation > Comments

Critical limitations of the main sources of electricity generation : Comments

By Charles Hemmings, published 15/8/2024

There are no immaculate solutions, currently that are generally applicable, to the world's demand for electricity and so the use of fossil fuels will persist, at least in the short to medium term.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Fester,

I’ve checked the posts of Taswegian, doog, and myself, and they all come out as 0%. So, I don’t know what you could be talking about. Your assumption that AI necessarily gets it wrong all the time demonstrates an astonishing ignorance of the technology, too.

ttbn,

Europe’s energy issues are primarily due to geopolitical factors, not the "failure of renewables." Germany is not fining people for using electricity quotas, either. You made that up.

Continuing to push these false claims doesn't change the reality: renewables are increasingly reliable, and Australia has the potential to lead in this space. Clinging to fossil fuels out of fear will only leave us behind while the rest of the world moves forward.
Posted by John Daysh, Thursday, 15 August 2024 11:17:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Those Australians who love rolling in guilt will be pleased to know that that Australia is really, really bad when it comes to climate change and fossil fuel.

"Australian coal and gas exports cause more climate damage than those from any other country bar Russia", according to one Adam Morton of the 'Guardian'.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 15 August 2024 11:44:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
John,

You argue that wind and solar technology will undergo massive cost reductions over coming years, then you say that we need to jump in now. That sounds very wasteful and contrasts with your view that nuclear should be avoided because of its high cost, despite numerous world examples showing that the choice of nuclear over renewables leads to lower energy costs. Wind and solar are still only a few percent of world energy production, and given their intermittency and the vast areas of land they require I cannot see that figure increasing much.

I think it better for you to attribute the dishonesty in your posts to AI rather than yourself. Arguing with AI is like watching a cat chase its tail. Unlike human beings interested increasing their understanding and insight of a subject, AI, be it artificial intelligence or Albo's indoctrinated, seem only to repeat the same points, apparently unswayed by any information to the contrary. But at least some here are learning something.
Posted by Fester, Thursday, 15 August 2024 11:53:13 AM
Fester,

That’s a bit unfair given that you have not yet managed to catch me being dishonest. Keep trying, though. I’m sure it will keep me on my toes!

It’s also unfair - not to mention hypocritical and ironic - to cling to a dubious accusation and an old claim that I had addressed (while pretending that I hadn’t addressed it) to make it sound like I’m impervious to facts. (Psychologists refer to the latter there as “projection”.)

You are yet to successfully refute a single thing I've said.

Anyway, the cost reductions in wind and solar are not speculative; they’ve been happening rapidly over the past decade, making renewables the cheapest new energy sources in many parts of the world right now. Waiting for further reductions would only delay our transition and keep us locked into more expensive and polluting fossil fuels.

Wind and solar might be a small percentage of global energy today, but their share is growing fast. Advances in technology, energy storage, and grid management are already overcoming the challenges of intermittency and land use. To dismiss them based on their current status ignores the direction the entire energy sector is heading.
Posted by John Daysh, Thursday, 15 August 2024 12:14:52 PM
I guarantee I have been here longer than you have by far. Fester:

You then take the very depleted waste and bury it deep.
It is a metal so it does not leak out. That is not feasible let alone energy producing. Very depleted uranium means very depleted generation.
When uranium is removed it is stored in barrels with water , so the usable uranium has been used, and does not explode or melt the ass out of a drum.

Wind and solar are still only a few percent of world energy. This is AU and we are different. We have the most intensive sun, and for longer / day.
Lucas reactor is a sealed tank light water reactor for medical use and some semi conductors of electricity. It does not use any uranium solids, only radio active water.

Reactors to day still carry the same flaws as reactors built in the 70’s [un fixable] French nuclear capacity has been effectively cut in half. The fact that nuclear power has fallen on its face when it is needed most is a hint that it is not the key to world energy security.
Posted by doog, Thursday, 15 August 2024 12:51:00 PM
doog,

"Lucas reactor is a sealed tank light water reactor for medical use and some semi conductors of electricity. It does not use any uranium solids, only radio active water."

That statement is false. You should consider using RoboAlbo like John does, although it gets a bit tedious reading the same guff over and over. Easier for you though.

https://www.ansto.gov.au/facilities/opal-multi-purpose-reactor
Posted by Fester, Thursday, 15 August 2024 1:31:41 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy