The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Julian Assange's release: a victory for press freedom or a perilous precedent? > Comments

Julian Assange's release: a victory for press freedom or a perilous precedent? : Comments

By Vince Hooper, published 26/6/2024

Assange's release underscores the evolving landscape of journalism in the digital age. Platforms like WikiLeaks have disrupted traditional media's gatekeeping role, democratizing information dissemination but also posing new challenges.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
It is not a "pragmatic solution". It is a gutless, cowardly solution now typical of the decaying West. One which which encourage other bad people to undermine the West in future
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 26 June 2024 9:24:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Will Assange Revive Wikileaks as an Anti-Western Group Again?

While most of the international public are only aware of Wikileaks releasing US helicopter footage [1] in Iraq Wikileaks more significantly released more than 10 million classified documents [2]. The vast majority of the documents were from US traitors, some from the broader West, but tellingly virtually none were from Russia or China. Wikileaks' political links can be assessed in that light.

Scope for Becoming a Repeat Offender?

Now that Assange is free it would be interesting if Wikileaks again becomes a magnet for Western secrets, while not releasing Russian or Chinese secrets. Wikileaks future coverage of Russia's invasion and occupation of Ukraine will be a key test.

Also, how long will Assange remain in Australia? Will he move to a country more sympathetic to Russia?

[1] http://web.archive.org/web/20100815072941/http://en.rsf.org/united-states-open-letter-to-wikileaks-founder-12-08-2010,38130.html

[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WikiLeaks
Posted by Maverick, Wednesday, 26 June 2024 6:33:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Will he move to a country more sympathetic to Russia?"

You mean like would he fight with the Russians to help free the Ukrainians from western oppression? As much as I'd like him to I think he answered the question when he went and hid in his hidey hole.
Posted by Fester, Wednesday, 26 June 2024 7:57:23 PM
Will Albanese come to regret that his government freed the front man of Wikileaks?

Is freeing Assange Albo's biggest mistake since Albo pushed the Voice that 60% of Australians didn't want?
Posted by Maverick, Wednesday, 26 June 2024 8:14:29 PM
Not at all, although I don't know why they took an interest. I don't think him a reformed character and I'd expect him to break the law again. Hopefully no one gets harmed when that happens.
Posted by Fester, Wednesday, 26 June 2024 8:36:13 PM
What is the "Law", its whatever a murderous regime like the United States dictates it to be. What is an inescapable fact is Julian Assange through WikiLeaks was able to expose to the world the war crimes of US mercenaries in third world countries, thousands of innocent people were murdered. Of course that is of no concern to certain sections of Western society, such as the hard right in Australia.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 27 June 2024 5:57:52 AM
Hi Fester

Yeah I agree. Wikileaks and its sympathisers, selectively anti-American (rarely anti-Russian) campaigns are likely to resurface.

Albo will be in a bind if/when Assange and his mob start breaking Australian law by publicising Australian secrets.

Cheers Mavs
Posted by Maverick, Thursday, 27 June 2024 12:12:44 PM
The world is in a better place for knowing the 'secrets' divulged by the Assange team.
All this cloak and dagger stuff is abhorrent.
Would you behave like that other government did?
Threatening those who dared to tell the truth?
The other thing that worries me is where another country's law can apply.
Surely only within its own boundaries.
When you drive your car here, only australian law applies when you do that, not the law of another country?
If I make genuine truthful but adverse comment about another country, am I breaking the laws of that country?
I don't think so, because I am not there.
Only my local law applies to me, whatever that is?
When there is serious unresolvable disagreement with another country, only war can lead to a (temporary) solution?
And war should be as rare as the proverbial hens' teeth?
And I wonder if I have offended them by using one of their colloquialisms?
But I am pleased that finally common sense and truth prevailed, and they moved in the right direction.
They deserve a 'tick' for that.
Posted by Ipso Fatso, Thursday, 27 June 2024 1:11:54 PM
Penny Wong to her credit

"told the ABC that while freedom of the press was "a key principle of our democracy", so too was the protection of national security information, "and we have very clear laws in Australia to protect that information"."

More at http://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/8677115/julian-assanges-quiet-return-to-canberra-amid-pardon-hopes/?cs=14329
Posted by Maverick, Thursday, 27 June 2024 2:58:05 PM
Hi Maverick,

What upset the Americans more than anything was the fact Assange exposed American hypocrisy, that phoney image of the "good guys in the white hats" nonsense. American mercenaries are as murderous as anyone else, Israeli, Palestinian, Russian, Ukrainian...Australian, they're all the same.

I recall the words of Australia's number one Communist at the time John Halfpenny as conveyed to me back in the 70's when I enquired; "John, whats the difference between Russia and America?.... "Well the difference is, the Russians are full of BS, but they know it...The Americans are full of BS, but they don't know it." He might have been jocular in saying that, but there is a semblance of truth in it to this day.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 28 June 2024 6:39:22 AM
The Prime Minister has negotiated a deal with the
United States to bring home an Australian Citizen.

That has been achieved. Julian Assange has flown home
a free man because as the PM said - "Enough is Enough."
Many MPs from all sides of politics supported this decision.

Penny Wong has said the government will not tolerate
the leaking of top secret information like that published
by Julian Assange. That has been made quite clear.

That should come as a warning to Assange and his family.

Stella Assange should stop
making any further political statements to the press like she
did at a press conference outside Parliament House in Canberra
recently.

The family should simply disappear from the spotlight and now
enjoy life as a family. They have been given a second chance.
They should take it - not misuse it.

It's time for all to move on. The government already has.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 28 June 2024 1:40:45 PM
Has Britain resumed its old fix-it - transportation of convicted felons to Australia?

Yet another convicted felon, who didn't get a private jet, sings http://youtu.be/rUOdTn8Wcnc?si=8J5axa0PLA0T84Xt
Posted by Maverick, Friday, 28 June 2024 6:20:27 PM
Hi Maverick,

"Has Britain resumed its old fix-it - transportation of convicted felons to Australia?"

Nah, Britain never transported any Australians to Australia. Julian Assange is an Australian. The Poms just transported every other nationality including their own, most were guilty of the crime of being poor.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 28 June 2024 10:22:19 PM
Hi Paul

And most of the upper class crims, rich enough to bribe judges, remained free, in Britain.

Cheers Mavs
Posted by Maverick, Saturday, 29 June 2024 9:24:01 AM
Hi Foxy

As usual you make some very sensible comments.

Even if Assange wants a quiet life there is a risk some in the Wikileaks circle may persuade him to again become the face of Wikileaks - again attracting Western secrets.

This would be a political and security embarrassment for Albo.

Mavs
Posted by Maverick, Saturday, 29 June 2024 9:35:06 AM
Maverick, one agrees firstly much of the Wikileaks dumps apparently had hallmarks of FSB/GRU by including reams of useless info and nothing new except confirming, quelle surprise, that there is collateral damage in conflicts.

The Tampere University Finland based Russian disinfo research team Vatnik Soup have much on Assange, Wikileaks, Farage and others in thrall to Putin

'During the US 2016 presidential election, WikiLeaks released hacked emails and documents from the Democratic National Committee (DNC) and Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta. Cybersecurity experts stated that the attack on the DNC server was conducted by GRU' (& according to Mother Jones referencing Senate Intelligence Committee and Mueller Report, allegations that Farage handed over USB to Assange)

https://vatniksoup.com/en/soups/269/

On Ukraine, problem solved, maybe he can apply for a 'researcher' position at the Budapest (anti-EU/NATO) Danube Institute, partnered with Koch's (anti-Ukraine) Heritage Foundation and funded by a foundation under PM 'mini Putin' Orban, which employs Fox Board and UK Trade Advisor Tony Abbott, who was just conveniently sanctioned by Russia?

Further, like the Anglosphere, Hungarian government is buddying up with fellow far right populist travellers in Austria, Czechia & Slovakia to become Trojan horse in EU and Parliament on fossil fuels/renewables, immigration and Ukraine.....
Posted by Andras Smith, Monday, 1 July 2024 6:30:10 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy