The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Knee-jerk security > Comments

Knee-jerk security : Comments

By Sylvia Else, published 8/9/2005

Sylvia Else argues the authorities have lost the plot on airport security since the 9-11 terrorist attacks.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
In my article I asserted that sticky tape is not yet prohibited. I have subsequently realised that I was wrong, because it clearly falls into the category of "Things capable of being used to restrain a person and not otherwise permitted under the Act or these Regulations."

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/num_reg/atsr2005n18o2005540/s1.07.html

I chose not to try to ridicule the regulations, although it can be quite difficult to avoid. With a bit of imagination, one can find a reason for almost anything being a prohibited item under the regulations.

However, there are few things that are definitely not prohibited, because the regulation says so:

Up to two litres of alcohol (even pure ethanol, presumably).

Up to two litres of ligher fuel.

Up to two kilograms of matches.

Up to two kilograms of an aerosol hairspray even if the propellant is imflamable.

Any number of safety razors, apparently even if they contain razorblades.

Any number of walking sticks or crutches, whether or not you need them.

A metal fork (provided it has round or square tines, and a non-detachable handle that is rounded), even though repeated bending will break the shaft and leave a dangerous point.

That should be enough to cause a good degree of mahem. Who needs prohibited items?

Sylvia.
Posted by Sylvia Else, Saturday, 10 September 2005 2:58:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I own a hard plastic letter opener in the shape of a dagger. They were given away in large quantities at a trade seminar in Perth years ago. It would make a formidable weapon, but would not be detected by metal detecting devices.

Two years ago I was returning to Perth from a Bali holiday. I had bought a wooden wall hanger carving of a group of dolphins. It was flat, with many sharp edges. Another great weapon. It was too big to go in my baggage and I hadn't got around to wrapping it. I wondered if I would be allowed to take it on the plane until I saw a guy in front of me go through carrying a skateboard, probably a more powerful "hand weapon".

Instead of nit-picking about manicure sets etc, I believe that all international and major regional transit points should have the "see-through" machines which virtually make a person nude to the operator. I saw the video of the 7/11 terrorists going through airport security in the US prior to their attack. Such a machine could perhaps have prevented this tragedy.

We are told that "the people" would not accept these machines. I'm a civil libertarian. My greatest libertarian right is to be allowed to stay alive.
Posted by Rex, Saturday, 24 September 2005 7:24:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There is a way to beef up plane security against knike or sharp instrument attacks.The best form of defence is right in front of us in the form of a blanket.Make your personal blanket knife proof,perhaps with strong fibres.A group of passengers could overpower an assailant by using blankets as a shield and a tool for suppression.Perhaps a couple could be velcroed together and be more effective.

For a few extra dollars many things on a plane could have multiple uses in our fight against terrorism.Maybe a bullet proof blanket is possible.
Posted by Arjay, Sunday, 25 September 2005 1:15:28 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There was never any reason to think that people on a plane have some special need to be protected against acts of random violence, as compared with people on the ground. The issue is only whether a person can use the prohibited items to hijack aircraft or destroy an aircraft, and if so, whether prohibiting those items prevents hijackings and aircraft destruction given the other options available to terrorists.

With the exception of firearms, it seems clear that a hijacker would not now succeed. An aircraft could be destroyed with explosives, but I rather think a similar result could be achieved with the permitted quantities of lighter fuel, alcohol and matches. In any case, as Bali and London showed there are easier targets to attack using explosives.

Sylvia.
Posted by Sylvia Else, Sunday, 25 September 2005 1:41:24 PM
So according to Sylvia people who travel by plane are elitest and should have no special treatment.The last time I looked Sylvia cheap airfares were beating car and bus travel.Well you have revealled your inherent leftist bias.Sylvia,plane travel was being targeted by terrorists because of the isolated insecure and dangerous nature of air travel.It needed special attention!

Perhaps you have been attending the Mark Lathem school of reality.
Posted by Arjay, Sunday, 25 September 2005 7:14:12 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy