The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Artist Xiao Lu boycotts exhibition amid CCP propaganda concerns in Sydney art scene > Comments

Artist Xiao Lu boycotts exhibition amid CCP propaganda concerns in Sydney art scene : Comments

By Lionel Te-Chen Chiou, published 30/1/2024

One courageous Chinese artist is making a stand against soft power wielded by the CCP at the Sydney Biennale.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
I would like to provide an update about the issue of Xiao Lu’s work being misnamed. John MacDonald's recent article was published on the SMH website yesterday (February 17th), wherein Xiao Lu's work was once again misnamed. This instance underscores the seriousness and ongoingness of the issue I have previously raised.

Moreover, MacDonald's article fails to recognise the political nuances embedded in Xiao Lu's work. I disagree with the tone employed by MacDonald, as it creates a misleading impression that the Chinese avant-garde mainly explores boundaries in terms of eroticism and merely sidesteps political matters during periods of turmoil.

MacDonald, along with other "experts" on Chinese contemporary art in Australia, seems to overlook the profound political messages inherent in Chinese avant-garde art. The depoliticization of such artwork is perilous, as it provides the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) with an opportunity to propagate a distorted narrative, falsely suggesting the absence of political dissent in contemporary Chinese cultures.

It is crucial to heed the lessons offered by Hannah Arendt, who warned against depoliticizing the populace, as it can create conditions conducive to the rise of totalitarianism. In failing to recognize the political dimensions of Chinese avant-garde art, there is a risk of unwittingly enabling the CCP's manipulation of the narrative surrounding political dissent in contemporary Chinese society.
Posted by lionel.C, Sunday, 18 February 2024 1:16:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You can find the article by John MacDonald that I referenced in the previous post at the following link. https://www.smh.com.au/culture/art-and-design/eclectic-ambassador-s-chinese-collection-pushes-boundaries-20240212-p5f4a7.html
Posted by lionel.C, Sunday, 18 February 2024 1:18:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy