The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Native forestry closures betray a nation that is losing its way > Comments

Native forestry closures betray a nation that is losing its way : Comments

By Mark Poynter, published 21/12/2023

A perpetual cycle of timber harvesting and regrowth limited to within a designated small portion of a hugely greater forested area, should be a relatively innocuous land use.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Ipso Fatso

It is disappointing that you see my article as "complaining" rather than the attempt that it is explain where we are at, why we have got here, and its pitfalls.

As for "doing something" - any attempt at educating the wider community about the misinformation that is shaping and skewing attitudes to modern-day resource uses, is dependent on getting a voice in the mainstream media. But those media outlets that cover environmental issues in any detail, are almost all left-leaning and generally populated by journalists who have a pre-determined anti-industry bias, arguably stemming back to childhood education both formal and informal.

I would love to have my article published in places like The Conversation, the ABC Online, Crikey, The Monthly, The Guardian, etc. where it could directly challenge the prevailing readership mindset, but they would never countenance publishing something that shows-up their pre-conceived agendas. Unfortunately, the media outlets that do have empathy with informed views from resource use managers/industry are generally not interested enough to publish them.
Posted by MW Poynter, Thursday, 21 December 2023 1:58:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'native forestry' includes (for me in the Liffey TAS) the subsequent invasion of foxgloves into the harvested area. That plant does not seem to respect property boundaries and takes advantage of logged areas ... where there is more light for germination, I suppose. Wind, animals and forestry workers/machinery seem to have spread it.
Posted by Garry in Liffey, Saturday, 23 December 2023 5:31:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy