The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Doing Washington's bidding: Australia's treatment of Daniel Duggan > Comments

Doing Washington's bidding: Australia's treatment of Daniel Duggan : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 6/3/2023

The increasingly shabby treatment of former US marine Daniel Edmund Duggan has again shown that the Australian passport is not quite worth the material it's printed on.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Daniel Duggan. Not a name on everybody's lips. And, if BK doesn't like what's happening to him, it is probably the right thing to do.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 6 March 2023 7:16:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A number of years ago I was thinking of teaching English in China. I had done the paper work and was getting ready to go. Then I got a letter from a Chinese official. I could get a much higher status and get paid much more if I would teach about computers. I thought if I insisted on teaching English I would get continued pressure from the Chinese government to teach about computers. If I taught computers I would be aiding the Chinese military because that's who my students probably would be. I ended up not going to China.
Posted by david f, Monday, 6 March 2023 9:32:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
BK is a good barometer that we are doing things correctly.
Posted by Aspley, Monday, 6 March 2023 9:34:37 AM
now that Australia has willingly committed itself to Armageddon in lock-step with US forces in any conflict with the PRC,
Binoy Kampmark,
Willingly or not, in a conflict between the US & PRC the whole World will be lock-stepped with whatever is being unleashed !
Posted by Indyvidual, Monday, 6 March 2023 9:37:35 AM
Disagree with anti-American, Binroy.

Daniel is still presumed innocent there and here. And will be given all the legal protection the US system and their bill of rights guarantees. He has the right to remain silent etc.

He nonetheless is not being held nor extradited for nothing and has a case to answer? Doesn't he?

He could do an Assange and spend decades inside, or simply agree to the extradition and take his chance with an eminently fair American justice system, which possibly could find him, not guilty?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 6 March 2023 10:53:34 AM
Binoy conflating the names of various characters, like Hicks, here posing with a rocket propelled grenade launcher "RPG" https://content.api.news/v3/images/bin/86b8d8ad8589a7034de2fa4e1bb14951 at terrorist organisation, Al-Qaeda's, Al Farouq training camp near Kandahar, Afghanistan...

actually does a disservice to Binoy's latest cause
"poor" US Marine Aviator Duggan who Voluntered
to train Chinese pilots (pilots frequently flying against Western pilots, including Australians)

earning Duggan big money...
Posted by Maverick, Monday, 6 March 2023 2:24:21 PM
China doesn't really need anyone to help them learn to fly on or off an aircraft carrier, nations often use land based replicas of the flight deck to train on.

The first aircraft carrier China got their hands on was the HMAS Melbourne which WE SOLD THEM as scrap in 1985 for 1.4 million, and they studied it and made a replica of the flight deck to train pilots on.

Also the Liaoning has been combat ready since 2016.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Monday, 6 March 2023 2:35:46 PM
While China has 2 "ski-jump" carriers (Liaoning and Shandong) China has launched, but not yet flown aircraft off, its latest carrier, Fujian.

Fujian just happens to be China's first CATAPULT carrier. The experience of defector-contractors, like ex-US Marine pilot Duggan, is/was invaluable to China. Duggan was involved in training Chinese pilots to anticipate the cross-winds and "drops off the bow" experienced by Chinese pilots when Fujian is fully operating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_aircraft_carrier_Fujian
Posted by Maverick, Monday, 6 March 2023 3:25:11 PM
It was always about educating the ignorant Chinese.
Turns out the Ignorance was a misunderstanding of the Chinese character.

http://visualizingcultures.mit.edu/civilization_and_barbarism/cb_essay03.html
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 6 March 2023 9:11:43 PM
Carriers are not that easy to fly off. We killed 7 carrier experienced pilots while working up Melbourne, & that was without anyone shooting at us.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 6 March 2023 9:51:06 PM
The moral to the story is never get trapped in the American geopolitical web, they have their own judge Freisler, waiting and willing to pass sentence on you.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 7 March 2023 5:57:57 AM
I'm simply wondering why someone as privileged as a fighter Pilot would teach the people he was trained to oppose, offer to train them with the tactics required ?
Are people now really so selfish ?
Posted by Indyvidual, Tuesday, 7 March 2023 5:42:15 PM
One wonders the extent Duggan gave Chinese pilots tips on how to handle Western aircraft, includingf RAAF aircraft, encounters.

In that regard the ABC reports 6 March 2023 http://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-06/raaf-crews-offered-counselling-after-tense-encounters-with-china/102056560

In May 2022 "the RAAF was dangerously intercepted by a Chinese military aircraft which released aluminium chaff, that was ingested into the engine of the Australian P-8 surveillance plane."
Posted by Maverick, Tuesday, 7 March 2023 7:56:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy